Friday, November 16, 2012

From the Kitchen

I highly recommend this cookbook for anyone that likes Asian cuisine and/or has a wok that they love using.  Or, maybe even has a wok that they got as a wedding gift and have yet to use, how many years later?  I will leave that friend unnamed for now.  ;)


Every recipe I have tried has been a hit!  Early in the week I gave Lao Chicken and Ginger a go and we all loved it! 

2-4 Tablespoons corn or peanut oil (I used peanut)
6 shallots or 4 onions sliced (I used shallots)
2 inches fres ginger, sliced and diced
3-6 garlic cloves, crushed
8-12 chicken thighs with skin
2 medium-hot chilies, red or green cored and sliced, plus extra to serve
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 cups coconut water or coconut milk (I used milk, but will use water next time to make it more healthy) (If using coconut milk see bold instructions below)
8 oz pea eggplants or cooked green peas (I used frozen green peas and it was fine)
6 scallions, halved then finely sliced lengthwise
10 large cilantro sprigs

Heat the oil in a wok, add the shallots or onions, and stir-fry until golden.  Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.  Remove to a plate, then add the chicken to the work, and saute on all sides until golden.  Stir in the onion mixture, chilies, sugar, and fish sauce.  Add the coconut water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover with a lid - if using coconut milk, don't put on a lid or the milk will curdle.  Simmer gently for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender. 

If using coconut milk, bring it gently to a boil (stiring, or it will curdle), then reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is done.

Add the pea eggplants or peas, simmer for 2 minutes, then serve topped with scallions, cilantro, and chilies, plus fragrant Thai rice.  (I used plain old white rice and it was good). 

NOTE : If using coconut water omit the sugar, because it will have been sweetened.  Pea eggplants, like bunches of mini-grapes, are sold in Thai and Asian stores. 

Most of the produce I already had on hand as normal staples in my kitchen.  I always have several varieties of rice on hand since it's something GF Mark can eat, and I had the chicken on hand from when Safeway had the last buy one get one free meat event, so it ended up being a fairly inexpensive meal to make. 

Enjoy...and unnamed friend...break out that wok!  :) 

No comments: