Monday, August 12, 2013

adidas Energy Boost Review



I finally have enough miles on them to feel like I can give an honest and accurate review! 

First The Technical Information: from the adidas site

You put a lot of energy into your run, and the women's adidas Energy Boost shoes give some of it back. Designed with an energy-returning boost™ midsole, these running shoes feature a techfit™ upper and the TORSION® SYSTEM for support.

Details

  • Weight: 8.5 ounces (size 7)
  • Energy-returning boost™ midsole keeps every step charged with an endless supply of light, fast energy; TORSION® SYSTEM for midfoot integrity
  • techfit™ technology for lightweight and flexible upper support
  • Flexible textile upper with welded synthetic overlays for support and stability
  • External heel counter for maximal heel fit and running comfort; miCoach® compatible
  • ADIWEAR™ outsole offers the ultimate in high-wear durability 
 
My Opinion:  The Good
Let me start by saying I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these shoes.  I almost don't know where to start!!! 
 
Before I even put the shoes on in the store I fell in love with the laces and where they cross the foot. 
 
 
In the above picture you can see how far back on the foot the very top (straight across) lace hits.  (It's the same spot the grey color starts.)  On most shoes the laces start much closer to the toes, and happen to hit me at the bend point of my foot, and tend to dig in and bug the crap out of me and/or make my toes go numb.  With the laces on this shoe I don't feel them at all and my toes don't go numb!!  Plus they are long enough that I get a good solid knot in them that stays tied.  It's a pet peeve of mine when laces are too short to get a good knot in them!   
 
I really like the material the shoe is made of.  It's almost a mesh material that has a ton of support and stretch at the same time.  It feels like a custom made glove for my foot.  I know some people have had to size up more than usual with this shoe, but I didn't need to.  The fit is perfect at 9.5 which is my normal running shoe size.  It's also very breathable, my feet are not nearly as hot and sweaty...which brings me to the next reason I love them.
 
No blisters!!!!  I went into 1/2 #2 with some pretty nasty blisters that didn't have time to heal from 1/2 #1.  Not only did the existing blisters not hurt at all, I didn't have any new blisters or hot spots to speak of.  I'm a runner that gets blisters running 3 miles, so to hit 13 and not have any issues is pretty amazing! 
 
Since so much new technology went into this shoe I skipped adding inserts.  I wanted to feel the full force of the Energy Boost technology without inserts adding to, or taking away from the function.  So far I don't feel the need for inserts.  There is plenty of arch support and cushion out of the box.  I have zero hip, knee, or arch pain.  I can tell a difference too because I'm wearing my other shoes (with inserts) on shorter runs, and saving the Boost for long runs and race day. 
 
It has a light landing that is cushioned without being squishy, and your foot leaves the ground with so much energy and spring in the push off that it feels like magic!  The first time I ran in them it kind of scared me because it felt like my foot was coming off the pavement with so much energy that my leg was going to keep going right over my head.        
 
The Drawback:
Color - I don't have an issue with the color, but have heard from some people that hate the bright color.  This is what the store had, but it looks like you can get them in other colors online HERE .
 
Price -  I have heard some grumbles about the price $150 online.  They are more expensive than any running shoe I have ever had on my feet.  But, if I subtract the cost of inserts ($50-$75) and the cost of the blister prevention/treatment items ($30'ish a month) it actually brings the cost down. 
 
Road running is hard on the body, at least on my body, but the Energy Boost make it feel like less damage is being done, and my legs are not as sore.  For a shoe that feels this good it's worth it to save my money to be able to replace them when the time comes.  (Provided they last a reasonable length of time/miles.  Only time will tell and it will take me a few months to get that many miles on them.) 
 
I'm pretty brand loyal when I find something that works for me and my wallet.  I would have had a hard time paying for a pair of shoes that are such new technology and a different brand than I normally wear.  I hope this review helps if you have been contemplating giving them a try.  I can't say enough good things about them!   
 
Disclaimer - While the shoes were free the opinions are my own.  I was not asked to post a single word about them by the store or by adidas.  I just love them so much that I had to share with everyone.  (Thank you Fleet Feet, Kelly - adidas rep, and Liz for making the ask that got me into the shoes!) 
 
If anyone has any questions for me, or for adidas, please let me know.  I'm happy to contact Kelly and get answers! 
 
  
 
   
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: