Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fitness Challenge to Myself

So I started a new work out program, the Tracy Anderson Method. It is similar to Pilates in that it is a strength/toning workout that focuses on a lean, balanced, sexy look. So far I love workout and really like that I can do it at home any time during that day that works for me.

My plan is to continue doing Zumba 3 times a week and do the Tracy Anderson workout 4 times a week. My challenge to myself is to do this for the next 8 weeks with the end result being I feel and look great in my cloths.

Since I'm not a fan of getting hung up on weight and/or what size I am (keep in mind Jessica Simpson was a size 4 in the "Mom Jean's" photo and people blasted her for being fat...numbers don't mean a whole lot to me) I will have to track my success based on how many workouts I actually do and see if I think it has made a difference at the end of 8 weeks.

I'm also not drinking pop or alcohol (camping trips and game nights with friends are the exception to the alcohol rule). I am trying to make sure there are veggies at every meal as well and portion control.

Why am I doing this, not because I have gained any weight, or because I feel fat (ok I will admit I want to feel 100% confident in my bikini especially with summer around the corner), but rather I want to make sure I can easily enjoy the activities Mark and I do like mountain biking, hiking, taking the dog to the park and I want to make sure we can do those activities well into the later years. So, that means making sure I am as fit and health as possible now and maintaining that level of fitness and health for the rest of my life.

With all things I believe in balance and don't think fad diets and totally avoiding "bad" foods is the way to go. It is really hard to maintain that type of eating style. I will still let myself enjoy my favorite chips and salsa, or piece of cake here and there, but will not make it a regular part of my diet.

I actually love working out. I like knowing that I am in control of my body for an hour or two a day and that it will respond when I push it for just a few minutes more. I like feeling strong and healthy and have a closet full of cloths that I like and want to make sure I can continue to wear for a long time. I don't anticipate working out like this for the next 8 weeks will prove to be difficult for me, but am putting it out there so that I feel a little since of responsibility to follow through.

I will post weekly updates, and would be really upset with myself if I had to admit I skipped a work out!

Since this week is shot due to my hip acting up I am going to start the the 8 weeks on the 15th.

No comments: