Saturday, April 9, 2011

Y Run For Kids 5K

Michelle and I ran our 3rd 5K today. The Y Run For Kids raises money for after school and late night programs and helps pay membership fees for kids that would not otherwise be able to be part of the Y. I came into this race with very mixed feelings due to how horrible the last race was. However, we were both pleasantly surprised at how great this race went from start to finish! Plus I was excited about the fact that the race shirts were Brooks Sport Tech shirts in black with silver print on them. I am really excited to have a nice running shirt that matches all of my running gear! The nice shirts explain the highest registration fee I have paid yet, but it's totally worth it all the way around. I think I have finally figured out my food issues. I had oatmeal at 6:30 am (race was at 8:30) and half a cliff bar at 8am. No issues whatsoever and I felt like I was well fueled through the entire race. We learned after the last race that while we can keep up a fast pace it is not necessarily the best idea for us at this point. So we opted to start in the middle of the pack and take our time. I have to say I like starting in the middle and passing people much better than starting at the front and being passed! Our first mile was around 12 minutes, second was 11 and some change and 3rd was under 10 1/2 and that last part between 3 and the finish line we were able to really pick it up. Once we could see the finish line (well before the 3 mile mark) we gradually started running harder and harder and felt really good when we crossed the line. I had debated using the Runkeeper program during the run because if it was a rough race knowing our times and mileage can be discouraging if you are struggling, I didn't want to feel like I had gone 2 miles when it was really only 1.2. However, I went ahead and used it, and it was actually really helpful. Michelle and I now know what pace feels good for us and we know we can even speed it up a bit and still feel good. I have no idea what our finishing time was as I didn't look at the clock when we crossed because we started in the middle of the pack it took us about 60 to 90 seconds to get to the start lines and the clock starts on the gun, timing chips start when you cross the line. If I had to make a guess I would say we are around the 30 to 32 minute mark, but official times will be posted on Monday so I will check then. One of the things I loved about this race was the encouragement all along the course. There were volunteers at every mile marker yelling your time to you and encouraging you to keep going. Today is also the Daffodil Parade on Pacific and most of the run took place on the parade route so all the daffodil court, float participants, and spectators were yelling and cheering for us the entire way. There was even a float with a band that played for us. It was a fun atmosphere and really helped us keep going. Once again Thank You to Michelle! The fist pounds and high fives are what keep me going girl! Thank you once again to Dad for the running gear! The Under Armor leggings are amazing...I love the fit and how they work with me not against me! Also, I need to give a shout out to Osha my massage therapist. We did a 4 mile run Tuesday night and while I felt good I had a lot of pain in my shins and Achilles tendon. Thankfully I had a massage Thursday night and she focused on my legs the entire time. I did not have a single twinge of pain in my shins or Achilles tendons today...Thank You for that!! I don't have another race now until Sound To Narrows the 2nd weekend in June. My plan is to work on increasing my distance and hill climbs. I'm getting to the point that I feel so good at the end of the races and when we do longer training runs am feeling great by mile 4, that I want to make the jump to 10K. I'm still going to make the next few races 5K's, just to make sure I have all the ins and outs figured out and work out any other issues I may need to figure out, but 10K's are around the corner I can feel it!

No comments: