Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

Baked oatmeal is my new favorite thing! I got the idea from Shelley over at Life On the Farm, and have made it almost every week for the past few months! I make a batch Sunday night and between breakfast every morning, and Mark thinking it is dessert it will last until about Wednesday, or Thursday if I'm lucky.


Baked Oatmeal:
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I use 1/4 cup)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can sliced peaches, drained and chopped (I use frozen peaches...they are less slimy)
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I use frozen)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (I skip this part...don't care for nuts in my oatmeal)
Combine oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and oil; add to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Stir in peaches and blueberries. ; Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees, for 35-40 minutes or utnil top is lightly browned. Serve warm with additional milk if desired.
This last batch I sprinkled with cinnamon on top and we both loved it!
I have seen other recipes that use cranberries, apples, and raisins. I was thinking dried apricots would be good. Lot's of room for customization with this one. Plus if you use the full amount of brown sugar you could almost turn it into an oatmeal cake and have it for dessert.
Enjoy!


No comments: