Friday, May 6, 2011

I Wonder Why....

...anyone ever decides to have children.

Between all the labor and delivery horror stories (thank goodness I don't have to worry about all the pain I have been repeatedly told about!) and talk about:
-No sleep
-No time for books/magazines/movies
-No sleep
-No more sports/working out/sex
-No sleep
-Colic
-No sleep
-No time for hair and makeup
-No sleep
-You are going to look so much older
-No sleep
-Just wait for the bags under your eyes
-No Sleep
-Forget about your walks in the park and runs with Michelle
-No sleep
-Your summer plans should all be cancelled

Did I mention I won't be getting any sleep for 18 years at least?! Talk about 100% effective birth control...apparently having children is really horrible and we will be lucky to survive it.

I wish people would keep there negative comments to themselves, but if I say that to them I look like the bitch. There are some days my tongue bleeds from biting it so much. Being a parent is going to be what it's going to be, and I don't need any negative comments to add to the doubts and worries I have on my own.

I wish people enjoyed sharing all the wonderful things about being a parent more than they enjoy sharing the horror stories!

I know one thing for sure...the stubborn side of me will NEVER let any of the negative people see me not looking my best and I will NEVER utter a word about being tired. I WILL NOT give them the satisfaction of being able to say I told you so, or I warned you.

It's on people...you have done your best to scare me, but now I'm just angry and stubborn angry Jen is not who you want to mess with!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE being a Mom! Every day is a blessing, and they make the struggles worthwhile with their giggles, stories, snuggles, creativity, and just general disposition! Anything that Is important in life has sacrifices. Yeah...the first 3 months with a new baby are rough...but you'll miss those tender moments when you spend your day chasing after them...and that first smile....man, it makes it all worth it!!! I can't think of anything that I wouldn't go through as I've raised my boys, and I've been through Colic! It just creates that special bond...the individual love I have for each child. So screw em! Being Mommy is the best job in the world!

JR said...

Positive things:
1. The wonder of watching this little being grow, learn, discover new things.
2. Seeing the firsts, smile, holding bottle by self, sitting up, saying Mama for the first time.
3. Giggles
4. When she holds up her arms to be held.
5. When she lights up just because you walk into her room.
6. When she falls asleep in your arms just because she feels warm and safe.
7. How cuddly and sweet they are right after their bath.
8. There is nothing like watching your little girl sleep. Wondering what she is dreaming about.
9. Little toes. Mmmmmmm
10. Watching her grow into a toddler full of wonder at the world around her.

Get the point? She will delight you in so many ways that you'll wonder what you ever did before she came into your family. Your heart will be so full that all the rest will fade away. Your priorities will change and she will be the center of your life.
Jen, you and Mark will be GREAT parents!! Just as I love you, you will love Sky. Mom

Unknown said...

Thank you Shannon and Mom! I know there is a wonderful side as well, and I'm so excited for that. I just don't get why people delight in sharing the negative all the time.

Jen said...

I agree with Shanon and your mom! There is nothing better in the world!! There might be sleepless nights and all that other crap, or there might not. Either way you will have a wonderful, precious gift that fills your heart in ways you never knew possible. :-) Life will never be the same and you won't want it to. I am so excited for you to become a mom! You will be fantastic!!

The Smiths said...

You are going to love being a parent. I am not sure why people always share the negative. The two little people in my life present me the biggest challenge (in a wonderful way), but they are also the most entertaining people I know. They make me a better person everyday. And as I type this I am wearing a hard hat and the dog is wearing a park ranger hat because that is how the Smiths roll. You will love it!
Gretchen

Unknown said...

Thank you Gretchen! I think Mark is going to be the one needing a hard hat with two girls in the house.