Monday, April 22, 2013

50K Results

Before I post anything else this week I must share the results from this weekends 50K that my sister and brother-in-law did.  I was frustrated because I didn't have cell service while camping, so had to wait until we were back to civilization Sunday to find out what went down. 

My sister made it to the 15.5 checkpoint, 40 minutes faster than last year, and called it a day there.  Same check point that they both stopped last year. 

I know her well enough to know she gave it all she had.  There is a very fine line as a runner of knowing when to push through and when to be done, and she needed to be done at 15.5.  Her youngest had been extremely sick the night before, and while she trained perfectly she only had a few hours of sleep.  And, when you have over 3,000 feet of elevation in 15.5 miles and only a few hours of sleep well you may have to stop short of 50K. 

Brian on the other hand did make the full 50K in just over 10 hours with over 7,000 feet of elevation. 

Close enough to the finish to hear it, but not see it yet.
 
I can't even begin to imagine running for 10 hours.  I watched a video of Brian running the last 200 ish yards, and I cried, and cried, and cried.  You could hear how tired he was in his voice.  Brian was giving very short one word answers.  Those words sounded painful, like it was costing all he had to utter them. 
 
I'm so very proud of both of them.  I know it wasn't easy for Beth to stop at 15.5...sometimes DNF'ing can be harder mentally than pushing on.  I'm so proud of Brian that I don't even know how to put it into words. 
 
  
 


No comments: