Friday, February 13, 2015

Swimsuit Shopping Success!

Man this parenting thing holds lessons in so many unexpected places. 

I think it's safe to say that one of the most difficult shopping endeavors as a female is swimsuit shopping. There is just so little fabric to hide behind. Every wrinkle, scar, jiggle, and unsightly vein is on display for the world, and that is hard to come to grips with really. 

I personally hate swimsuit shopping, and I don't think I have ever found one I love. I always find the one that is the best of the options I have/can afford, and let me tell you it very rarely fits exactly how I'd like it to. I don't know what sewing form the industry at large uses for swimsuit's but it's not curvy girl who drinks wine, and likes to cook/isn't a size 2 A cup. Nothing against size 2 or A cups...but dang it's hard out there for a curvy girl sometimes. 

Anyway Sky is registered for her next swim class and I realized her swimsuits were worn out, and she needed an upgrade. When I told her we were going swimsuit shopping she was so excited, and all she could talk about was finding a pink one, and "Mommy can I pick it out"? So excited. 

Turned out the pink one didn't fit at all, but thank goodness we found one in her favorite color...Purple! 


Sky - "Is this really for me mommy? With the skirt?!" Me - "Yes pumpkin it is". Sky - "I love it mommy, I just love it". Followed by several minutes of twirling, jumping, dancing, and admiring herself in the mirror.

Then at the top of her lungs she blurts out....



..."I'm perfect mommy, just perfect". Pretty darn close baby girl, pretty close. 

And, I realized in that perfectly happy moment trying on swimsuit that it's my #1 priority to make sure she is always this happy with her body and herself. 

I want her to be totally 100% comfortable with who she is and how she looks. I won't say confident because too many times that is mistaken for arrogance, but comfortable is hard to mistake. Be accepting of who you are and how you look, work with it, be kind to yourself, change what you can/what needs to be changed (talking exercise/healthy eating/how you dress your body not cosmetic surgery) and just be happy with what what you see in the mirror every day. 

I mean if you can't be kind and accepting of yourself how will you be that way towards others, and how will others be that way towards you if you can't do it for yourself?! 

3 year old's lack humility, so over time I'd like to see her statement grow into "I'm perfectly imperfect" because no one is truly perfect. But, for now I'll let her go with it, and enjoy looking at herself in dressing room mirrors in swimsuits. 

No comments: