Monday, May 10, 2010

Helicopter Landing

I am up at the hospital all day today working and I heard the helicopter land.

That means we are the trauma center today (we share trauma duty with another hospital in town, it rotates every other day) and that someone is in a lot of pain.

I always feel bad when I hear the helicopter because it means someones life is hanging in the balance, and that their friends and family are being notified that something horrible has happened. It means hours of waiting to hear if the loved one is going to make it, it means someone is in tremendous physical pain and others are experiencing emotional pain that I can only try to imagine. I feel bad for whoever is in that helicopter and for their friends and family.

It reminds me that life is so fragile and to cherish every moment because you never know what is going to happen next.

No comments: