Thursday, May 20, 2010

Meat Loaf

I don't have a recipe I follow. I sort of put in whatever I have in the fridge or whatever is left over from other recipes. A lot of people use stews as a way to use stuff up, I use meat loaf.

My secret trick is that I cook it in muffin tins rather than a loaf pan. Talk about great portion control, and it only takes about 20 minutes to cook which is so much quicker than a loaf!

Here is what I tossed into the Meat Loaf last night:
(I don't measure anything, just toss in what I have and guess on the Worcestershire Sauce, Oregano, and Parmesan cheese.)
-Ground Beef
-Carrot finely chopped
-Celery finely chopped
-Green Bell Pepper finely chopped
-Sweet Onion finely chopped
-Garlic
-Worcestershire Sauce
-Oregano
-Parmesan cheese (in place of bread crumbs so Mark can eat it)
-1 or 2 eggs depending on how much meat is being used

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Once mixed together scoop into muffin tin. Top each meat loaf muffin (that sounds really wrong!) with catchup (yes just like you are frosting a cup cake, sometimes I'm silly and draw faces with the catchup). Bake in oven for about 20 minutes depending on the size of muffin tin being used.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

shelley said...

Would you believe I've never made meat loaf? I love the portion control idea with the muffin tins -- perfect for packing leftovers for lunch too!

For those of us who've never made it, do you put a few teaspoons/tablespoons of worcestershire? Or closer to a 1/4 cup? :)

And seriously, anything topped with ketchup makes my day.

Unknown said...

Hey Shelley,
I probably put in closer to a 1/4 cup of worcestershire, but I really like that taste of it. It usually ends up being between 7 and 10 shakes of the bottle right into the meat.

You can also mix in some sausage or ground turkey...I have done that before as well.

Let me know if you make it and how it turns out!

*Jay * Kendra * Zach * Carter* said...

Yum...I am stealing this one! Have you ever tried 50/50 turkey/ground beef or all turkey?

Unknown said...

Hey Kendra,
I have not done exact 50/50, but I have mixed in turkey and/or sausage. I love the flavore the sausage adds!

I would totally do all turkey though...I cook with ground turkey all the time and treat it just like hamburger. I bet ground buffalo would be good as well.

Let me know how it turns out!