Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 is Out...2010 is In!

I have never been much of a fan of New Years Resolutions. I think it limits a person to only focus in improving once a year. I tend to take stock every few months and really look at what I'm doing and where my life is going and make small adjustments all through the year. My goal every year is to be honest with myself and make changes as they are needed no matter how much work it may mean for me. I continually try and focus on living the best life I can for myself, my marriage, and my future child.

Having said that I am taking part in a 8 week challenge on a blog I follow...Engaged Marriage. (Great blog by the way. Lots of good posts and info about a wide range of topics.) The challenge is to pick a goal, or several goals, to focus on for 8 weeks. We post comments on the specific things we are doing each week to reach our goal. I think my goal may take a lifetime to master, but an 8 week jump won't hurt. My goal is communication with Mark. By that I mean controlling how I react to perceived "tones" when he is talking to me. By and large we communicate well especially about the big "issues" most married couples face. What I need to work on is when we are working on projects around the house like painting, moving furniture or working on the camp trailer. I tend to feel like he is talking to me like a 3 year old and his way is the only right way and he does not think he comes across that way. We may never see eye to eye on this and I have come to the conclusion that the only thing I really have control over is how I react to him and the perceived tone.

It really does not matter if he is talking to me like a 3 year old or not (he is not being mean or malicious and he does not think I'm stupid what he is saying is based out of what is safe and correct) what matters is how I react. I need to take more deep breaths before popping off some smart retort. It is amazing how such a little thing can ruin a day and has even ruined whole weekend trips, and I will admit it is me getting angry and not getting over it. So that is what I'm working on for the first 8 weeks of the year, and am sure it is something I will continue working on the rest of my life.

Now for a Recap of 2009 the good and the bad:
-Co-chaired the original Relay For Life event during the 25th anniversary. What an amazingly rewarding challenge!
-Decided to start our family through adoption!
-Bungee Jumped for the first time!
-Spent an amazing week in Whistler with Mark.
-Found new joy in my workout routine!
-Added some truly amazing friends to my life.
-Re-painted and floored three rooms in the house.
-Lost my Steelers room to the nursery.
-Painted the outside of the house.
-Put in new sod/seed in the yard and worked on filling the flower boxes.
-Learned a lot about what does and doesn't work with 3 year olds.
-Sadly saw our community changed forever by an act of violence that ended 4 lives.
-Joined the dodgeball league and am still dealing with an injury from the first game.
-Learned how to use clip less peddles on my bike and also learned the danger of the jagged medal edge coming in contact with my shin! Still dealing with that injury 4 months later!
-Re-discovered the joy of being at home with my husband and having time to myself again!
-Learned how to say no and manage my time and my calendar.
-Learned a lot about myself, Mark, our friends, our family, and our marriage through the adoption process.
-Camping with family in particular my sister and her family.
-Saying a final goodbye to Grandpa and Grandma.

Looking forward to 2010:
-Hopefully a birthmother match!
-Whistler with the Beckham's!
-Camping trips that are already in the works!
-My baby shower!
-Re-connecting with some HS friends...gotta love Facebook!
-Spending more time with the people I love.
-Growing and learning more about myself, my husband, my marriage, and hopefully our daughter.

Goodbye 09...it has been a great year that brought more than its share of joy and sorrow. Welcome 2010 I can't wait to see what you have in store for me!

1 comment:

Dustin said...

Thanks so much for joining the challenge and spreading the word! Your goal is a very important and admirable one, and I really respect you for being so proactive in addressing an issue that can be hard to pinpoint and work on.

I look forward to improving myself right alongside you in 2010!

Dustin
www.EngagedMarriage.com