Sunday, July 25, 2010

Another Marathon Completed

My sister and brother-in-law ran the San Fran Marathon today! It sounds like this one was harder than others because my sister woke up with leg cramps before the race and was sore the whole race. But, they finished, together, and I couldn't be more proud of them.

One of the things I love about these photos is somehow my sister manages to take scenic shots, video, and self photos during every race...I would be losing my mind after the first few miles...photos would be the last thing I would be thinking of!

A few photos I got from her site...sorry they are small...

Brian and Beth at mile 19...I think they look great for having run 10 miles!

Between 19 miles and the finish...still looking good!

After the finish...look at those smiles!


Good job!!!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thank you much for the support, it means more than you could know.
Love you much!

popeye said...

The intrinsic value of such an accomplishment far exceeds all benchmarks or measures of accomplishments defining athletics at world class level. It exceeds the fact that other athletes are higher up the hierarchy of skills and conditioning. How so? Take a look at where you started. Neither of you were gifted with athleticism. Everything about your culture discouraged any pursuits of sports, athletics, or the pursuits of anything remotely having to do with self. (I will never forget watching Jen bowling at age 13 with five foot long knobby kneed legs--ha ha ) To even start a marathon without the use of one leg absolutely moves me, it inspires me, it gives me drive and encourages me beyond any sense of your ability to recognize how much it has moved me. As my diabetes continues to worsen I am driven to keep on moving the right direction. When glucose--same as glycogen--is not being delivered to my brain and muscles I will draw inspiration from your marathon to keep on training. When neuropathy shuts my limbs down I too, will think of you at mile 23 and I will force, I will will my way through the most grueling work outs. After each workout, when my glucose is at its lowest, I run outdoor two miles with other officers. To me, it seems like much longer distance than that. My goal is to not give in to the diabetes--the fluctuation of glucose. Without glycogen being transported to my brain or muscle fiber every aspect of my physiology is trying to shut down. I can’t let it for literally--it means life for me. I take 85 units of insulin a day and still I fight the high glucose numbers. From now on, when I think I cant keep on I will put myself in your shoes at the San Francisco marathon. Something I have never told anyone from my past. When I was diagnosed with diabetes I was given a body fat test. I was at 24%. I was obese--weighing 275 pounds. I was a fat slob. I embraced this fact and set out on a course to turn it all around. So, when you tell your story how you and your husband have turned it all around I understand the journey it has taken you two on. When you speak of the way it has turned your life around and has redefined you as a person I feel the same. Keep on keeping on. You never know how much you inspire others.
popeye