Wednesday, August 11, 2010

End of Softball

Last night was the end of the softball season. I still have mixed emotions about softball. Part of me was a little thankful I had a legit excuse not to play after seeing how good some of my teammate are. Another part of me was really bummed that I didn’t have the opportunity to practice and learn from those players and make improvement over the season.

Of all the sports we have played softball is the sport we got better at the fastest. The other sports took us until playoffs to figure it out, but with softball after the first couple of weeks of practices we were at the top of the league and looking good going into playoffs.

Playoffs were last night and it was exciting! It was a three game back-to-back format with each game lasting 6 innings or 60 minutes whichever came first. The first game was forfeited as the other team didn’t have enough players. So we split our team, sent some to the other side, and played a few innings so we could at least warm up before the next game. Game two was fun to watch and we ended up winning which put us in the championship game.

This was the big test right here…did we have enough practice and skill to pull it off? The Lose Wheels are a good team and I think only had one lose all season, which was to us. They scored 3 runs the top of the first inning, but with strong defense and good hitting we made it back and went into the 6th inning up 7 to 3. Bottom of the 6th, they are up to bat with 2 outs, we get the last out and we win! But, somehow they manage to tie the game up by scoring 4 runs with only one out to work with. We finally get the 3rd out and are headed into extra innings, but we are feeling good because it is the top of our batting order. Well…the top of our order went down 1, 2, 3 just like that with no scores. Bottom of the 7th inning they score the winning run. It was a heartbreaker to say the least.

I will say though that there have been losses this season that were painful to watch from the bench, but this game was exciting, we were playing well, everyone put their best effort into it and for once I didn’t mind sitting on the bench watching.

It was fun being able to still be part of the team by keeping stats, and I learned a new skill. Not sure how many times I will need to keep stats in my life, but now I know how. I am now really looking forward to our next sport, Dodgeball in October and can’t wait for the next Softball go-round. I plan an asking for some extra one-on-one practice with a few of the players that have coached before and really know what they are doing. Then I will feel more confident about playing…that and visiting the batting cages in the off season.

Good Job Son’s of Pitches…it was a fun season with new friends made.

No comments: