Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Dream Job

So I have a secret to share, no I didn't get a new job, but I have had the same dream job stuck in my head for most of my life...and have never told a sole about it. Why now? Well everyone I know keeps asking me what I think should be done about a certain QB issue in Pittsburgh, and if only someone from the Steelers office would call and ask my opinion I would be on my way to having my dream job!

I want to be the person that gets the call when there is a tough decision to make, like who should QB while Ben is out, or should we go for it on 4th down, or who should be our first pick in the draft...you get the idea. I don't want to live in Pittsburgh (however if they ever offered me a job I would move in a second...hope Mark is ok with that) but I would be happy to be available 24/7 by phone.

This is truly a dream job because I'm pretty sure no football team keeps a "Phone Consultant/All Knowing Fan" on staff, but if they did I would so be the perfect person for the job, for the Steelers at least!!!

To answer the question as to who should QB the team while Ben is out (and by the way I would NOT be sad to see Ben traded, but that is a whole other post) I pick Batch. Why Batch, well he knows the playbook inside out and has successfully lead the team in the past while Ben has been out with injuries, and actually he pre-dates Ben. He has longevity and the guys respect him. (I think they would respect anyone that does not create drama at this point, but I digress).

I was pretty happy to see Leftwich back to help us out, he did a good job when Ben had the motorcycle accident, so I was feeling pretty good about him being back. But, I must say, not thrilled with what I have seen from him this year, nor with the reports from training camp.

I was hopeful that Dixon would be exciting and good, but I just don't think he is ready. This is the Steelers people and Dixon does not have the experience or maturity to lead the team for 4 to 6 games. You can't hand over a team with the history and talent of the Steelers to someone who may be exciting to watch but is not rock solid reliable. Lets face it we had exciting and flashy with Stewart and that didn't last long (for some of us it lasted a little too long!).

Which brings me back to Batch...he is one of the few back-up QB's that I think is able to lead the team for as long as needed. (I have always felt better about Batch than a lot of other back-ups in the NFL!) I have never seen him flustered or unsure of what to do when he is on the field. The team will play for him, and you can put Mr. Excitement Dixon in for those gadget plays here and there as needed, and if they call me during the game I will let them know when that is.

I will be sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. In the meantime Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!!!!

No comments: