Tuesday, March 8, 2011

IRB Meeting

I guess before talking about the IRB meeting maybe I should update everyone on what the IRB is and my involvement. Not sure I have posted about it at all.

IRB is short for Internal Review Board. IRB's exist for one purpose and one purpose only...to protect the rights of "subjects" or rather humans that participate in research study.

There are a TON of laws and regulations that protect subjects, and there are even more laws involved when children, prisoners, employees of the research institute and pregnant women are involved.

38 test proving that I know all the laws and regulations later and I am a certified member of the MultiCare IRB. We meet once a month and make sure that ALL research studies conducted at or through MultiCare are done so in compliance with all the laws and regulations that uphold subject rights.

It is a lot of work, but worth it! I love seeing behind the curtain so to speak. I get to see what advances are being made in medicine almost before they are made and I love it. We approved some really cool studies last night and tabled one that needs a little bit more work, but when it does get approved could have a huge impact across the country. (Sorry for not being specific about what the studies are...confidentiality agreements and all.)

I will never have the scientific mind needed to be a researcher (volunteering with the ACS made me realize that all the "cool" stuff happens because of research) and that makes me crazy because research is where it's at as far as medical advances and improvements are concerned. But, this is one small way that I can be involved in research at a level that is appropriate for me.

Last nights meeting was a particularly long one. There were a lot of very complicated new studies that needed review and approval. A couple of them brought up one issue after another that needed to be addressed. No matter how draining it is, it is so worth it! it makes me feel good to know that patients that were terminal before may potentially have a life saving option now.

Pretty Cool!!!

No comments: