Wednesday, March 30, 2011

RunKeeper

First before I talk about RunKeeper...a big huge THANK YOU to my Dad for all the running gear. I now have a running top, leggings, and two running skirts. It's too cold and wet to give the skirts a go, but they fit perfect, look good, feel good and I can't wait to run in them. I ran tonight, only 2 miles as the wind and rain at Chambers was just too much, but I gave the leggings and the top a spin and both fit great and worked well. There is something to be said for quality cloths that fit perfect. They move with my body and feel really good. Thank you so much. I could have gotten along without them, but it is so very nice to have good running gear! Now on to RunKeeper. I found out about this program through facebook, I looked into it and found that not only can I access it through the computer, but there is also a free android and/or IPhone app and I was sold! I downloaded it to my phone and used it for the first time last night. It uses the phones GPS to track distance and time, it gives updates about every 6ish minutes as to how far I have gone and what my pace is. It also has coaching options...let it know you are training for a 5k in 5 weeks and every run it will tell you how far and hard to run every run up to the race. The coach will tell you during the run what intervals to do etc. It then uploads it from your phone to facebook, or twitter as well as a couple of other programs. It also keeps your activity history on the website. What a great way to keep track of my mileage! And it doesn't just track running, you can let it know you are walking, using an elliptic machine, bicycling and on and on. The only snag I ran into is that the sky was really overcast tonight and I couldn't get a good GPS reading, so it did not track my run as I was running. But, I happen to know that run one way is exactly a mile, so it was easy for me to track it myself and then enter my mileage and time manually when I got home. So far I'm totally in love with this program!

No comments: