Wednesday, January 11, 2012

To Use a Pacer or Not to Use a Pacer...

(still sick btw...better, but not 100%, will go to class today, but not running just doing the strength training).

So, the Tacoma City 1/2 has free pacers that anyone can use if they would like.  When you get ready to line up at the start you just pick the pacer that is holding your pace and they get you fuel at the aid stations and make sure you stay on pace and finish the race in the desired time.  It's free, you don't have to sign up, just walk up to them before the race and you have a pacer.  You can stick with them or speed up/drop back at any point during the race.  You can use them the entire time, or just for the portion of the race you think you will have the most trouble.   

I have never seen a pacer in a race before, never even heard of it until a few weeks ago, and don't know if it's a good idea for a first 1/2 or not.  Michelle and I are running together so we have each other.  My only concern about that is we don't do our training runs together anymore, (only because my schedule has changed since I'm not working and going to the Y in the am, I can't really do two a days and run in the evenings on days I go to class) so I don't know how close we are to being the same pace.  In the last few races we have not stuck together like we did when we first started running, but those were shorter races as well.  I know for the longer distance paces will be slower.

I want us to be able to run together and cross the finish line together, but I also know it is really hard to run at another persons pace and if one of us needs to speed up or slow down to make it then we need to be able to do it, maybe a pacer would help us not feel alone if we end up running at different paces. 

I don't know the answer, I think our training plan will help make it clear what the answer is...we will be running together for the majority of our training runs leading up to the race.  I'm glad it is a game time decision so we have time to think about it. 

No comments: