Monday, January 30, 2012

Feburary Run

If you run please check out this link: http://www.shutupandrun.net/2012/01/virtual-run-for-sherry-arnold-february.html

My February "race" will be a virtual run in memory of a teacher that was murdered while on a morning run.  Shut Up And Run is one of my favorite running related blogs and I have been following the story of her Sister-in-Laws death...thinking about what her family must be going through. 

As a female who on occasion runs alone this has really made me stop and think.  I'm already really careful about what I'm doing when I'm running alone.  I don't run in the dark, I don't trail run in the woods, I only put one earphone on so I have a "free" ear to hear whats going on (plus I keep the music low), my head is on a constant swivel and I make sure the people around me know that I know they are there, I took a self defense class, I run with my cell phone, I tend not to run long distances while alone so that my legs are never too tired to sprint if I need to outrun a bad guy, and I run in popular running areas with lots of other runners around.   

I'm not sure what else I can do.     

I will be running 2/11 in the morning, probably around 8am.  I don't know where yet, depends on if I'm alone or not.  :)  If I can find others to run with I would like to do a trail run at Ft. St. or Titlow park, maybe 5 Mile Drive (another run I won't do alone).  But, if I'm alone I will be hitting Chambers Bay as it's close to home and there are generally a lot of other people around.   

I will print my bib, take pictures as requested and think of Sherry and her family while I run.  

Be safe out there!

No comments: