Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm a Gleek

I don't like to promote TV shows or Movies on the blog...but, I will admit it I'm a Gleek.  I watch Glee, and I like it.  Yes, I know it's a high school show, they sing show tunes, and break out in song and dance every 3.5 minutes.  But, I like it.

The #1 reason I like it, it's real (aside from the singing and dancing that is).  I grew up with 90210 and there is a new and updates 90210 on TV currently and it's rubbish.  A bunch of rich kids struggling with what party they are going to next and what outfit they are going to wear.

Glee on the other hand deals with kids who's parents are laid off and are struggling to get by, bullying, teenage pregnancy, coming out of the closet and having people hate you, teenage suicide, OCD, getting into college etc.  Basically they are kids dealing with real issues that most teenagers would be able to relate to in one way or another.

Last weeks episode was hard to watch.  I cried almost the entire time.  In short a football player has been outed as being gay, the team makes fun of him, other gay guys in school make fun of him, and the gay guy he has a crush on won't return his calls, so he tries to kill himself.

One of my core beliefs is that no matter what my personal feelings/morals are even if someone is the exact opposite of what I believe is right we are all humans, and we all deserve a basic level of respect and kindness.  (Aside from murderers, rapists, molesters...you get the idea).

Judge Less and Love More.

One of my main goals in raising Sky is raising her to be a nice girl.  I don't want her to be a push over that gets walked on, but I do want her to know that her words have the power to make someone feel worthy or worthless.

I would feel like a failure if I found out my daughters words contributed to someone feeling bad about themselves or trying to hurt themselves.  She doesn't have to like everyone or be friends with everyone, but I do expect her to treat everyone with basic respect and kindness.  (In general of course, if someone tries to hurt her and she needs to defend herself then it's on and she can kick ass).  

The majority of my friends don't like Glee and I have heard my share of jokes, negative comments, and been made fun of for watching it.  But, you know what I don't care what they think.  I appreciate the message from last weeks episode and the reminder as to what values I want to raise my daughter with.

Plus, say what you want about show tunes, there is some serious singing and dancing talent on the show!


1 comment:

Nic N said...

Thanks for posting this link for me, Jen.

I often wonder why people get so worked up about a social issue that is, I feel, completely irrelevant. People are who they are and the things that make up our differences are the things that make us uniquely human. Regardless of our individual world views, we are all stuck on this rock orbiting around the sun together, so we may as well get along. It would make the trip a little more tolerable. For all we know, we may be the only beings in the entire universe...we're kind of a rarity. I wish we could all appreciate that a little more.