Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Today I'm very thankful for some "unsolicited" running advice from the one person I will actually listen too.  To be fare Mark had given me some of the same advice, but did I listen, no.  But, as soon as the one person I do listen to when it comes to all things running emailed me a long email laying things out I listened.
 
It was a good reality check.  On top of the advice I have had some forced down time this week as Sky has been sick.  She has a cold that makes it hard to breath, and while she is sleeping ok at night, she seems to only want to nap in mommies arms during the day.  So I have been laying low giving her what she needs, which is the whole point of being a stay at home mom.  So while the training has suffered this week it was good timing.  (Shine splints are gone and my hip and knee feel much, much better.) 

I did get a very slow, flat 4 miles in on Tuesday and it was perfect.  Some of my pains had gotten better and it was nice to take it easy and let my body recover while still getting a run in. 

I now realize that training for a 1/2 is not about speed, keeping up with others, kicking butt on hills, running 3 or 4 times a week and going to class 3 times a week, and not letting myself rest. 

I'm adjusting my attitude and focusing on slowing down when I need to.  Ultimately I need to know I can be on my feet for 2 1/2 hours (or so) and cross the finish line, without injuries.  It's ok to slow it down.  Each run is going to be what I need it to be regardless of who I may or may not be running with. 

The best part is I have made peace with the fact that until this race my fitness routine needs to be about what is going to get me to the start line without injuries and what is going to get me across the finish line.  That means I'm going to drop down to 2 days a week of fitness class.  That way I can get my strength training and sprinting/speed work in, get my training runs in, but give myself 2 days a week to rest. 

Thank you for the advice...you know who you are.  :)

Thank you to Jodi for being willing to run slow with me Tuesday and "just" walk Wednesday.  Thanks to El too for "just" walking.  Although Chambers Bay is hardly "just" a walk.  :) 

Jodi also eased my mind about the hill factor...it's not as hilly of a 1/2 as I was stressing about, so that makes me feel a lot better! 

And, thank you to Mark for not saying I TOLD YOU SO, you so had the right to.  As always, you offer your advice but then let me decide on my own when and if to listen.  Love you!  

No comments: