Monday, February 13, 2012

What Is True Tragidy?

(I try not to piss people off on my blog, but I have held my tongue as long as possible.) 

A true tragedy is what happened to the Powell boys.  A true tragedy is what happened to Sherry...murdered while on a morning run near her home.  A true tragedy is US soldiers being killed by friendly fire.  A true tragedy is losing your spouse, child, or other family member.  

You know what is not a tragedy...the death of someone due to their own inability to cope with life.  Fame seems to mean that when you die people forget your behavior and overlook that you openly admitted you like to party and drink and your death was a result of your own addiction.

It seems society will deem your death a tragedy regardless of how messed up you are as a person just because you are famous.  Yes I'm talking about Whitney and I know my view is not popular.  But, this is my blog and I can post what I like. 

I'm not saying that Whitney didn't contribute amazing music and pave the way for some amazing artists.  She had a beautiful voice and I think her version of the Star Spangled Banner is the only one that should ever be played.  But, that does not automatically make her a good person and it does not make her death a tragedy.



How is Whitney any different from the drug addict your drive past downtown?  Is she better than the "average" addict because she got her drugs from her Dr. rather than a dealer in the alley?  

I don't understand how people can say they are numb, their hearts hurt, or they are shocked she is no longer a part of their life.  FYI - she never really was a part of your life.  You don't know her, never met her, never had a single conversation with her.  You had a relationship with her through MTV, award shows, interviews, concerts, movies and hearing her on the radio.  Yet hearts are breaking and people are numb and in shock.   

You know whats shocking?  A father that stabs his two little boys before he burns them to death.  An addict OD'ing is not shocking. 

I understand to a point being sad that someone you enjoyed as an entertainer has died.  Believe me when Steven Tyler goes I will be sad.  I have been a fan since I was 13, in the last 12 years I have gone to every concert they have done in WA.  But it won't be a tragedy for me.  I will be sad that there won't be any more concerts or new music, but that is the extent of it.      

I guess that is what really bothers me about all the posts on FB and people saying what a tragedy her death is.  Number one, it's really only a tragedy for her daughter and her family.  Number two, if Whitney were the local crack whore on the corner no one would give a crap about her dying, but because she was famous and had a lovely voice people are acting like their best friend died.  It's the hypocrisy of it that really bothers me.

Ok I'm done.  (don't even get me started on MJ's death!) 

1 comment:

popeye said...

One more thing. Your grandma is working for us today starting at 10:00. It has been arranged for the buss to go out there to pick her up, and later on take her back home. This is the first time since the diagnosis she needed to go somewhere and grandpa could not drive her. I am scared about my reaction when she walks into the office. I can't even imagine what is going through her mind this morning. I cant even begin to feel what it must be like for your grandpa this morning as both of them come to terms with this. I wish you were here. I need a hug. I need to cry. This is a tragedy in its own sense.
dad