Sunday, June 3, 2012

Relay For Life of Lakewood 2012

After 16 years it never gets old.  Although I will admit the last time I felt this indifferent towards Relay was the year my Grandma Nore died. 

This year my mind has been preoccupied with thought of Grandma Jean passing and all the emotions that go along with that.  So I wasn't exactly looking forward to Relay, it sort of felt like one more thing that had to be done/thought about. 

But, as always once there it's hard not to be reminded of why it's so important and why I love being part of the world wide Relay Family.  Plus, I wanted to focus on Sky's first Relay where she could actually notice what is going on around her and we can start building Relay memories for her. 

Our youth are the future of Relay and the future of the fight against cancer and it's never too early to instill that in her. 

After about an hour I was totally into it and actually forgot about how sad I had been feeling. 

One of the things I LOVE about the Lakewood event is that it never stops.  There is music blaring and activities going all night long.  It's a great event with a strong sense of community that I just love.  

Mark took pictures again this year, but not as many and he focused on moments with people instead of the typical event type of photography.  He also made sure to spend some quality time with Sky and the best part was for the first time in a really long time we were able to walk the Luminaria lap together. 

And, I have to say it's pretty nice being done at noon rather than 6pm on Saturday.  Lakewood is an 18 hour event, not 24.  I may never do another 24 hour event again!  ;-) 

 Daddy and Sky walking across the football field.  

Her very first OFFICIAL lap.  She made it 3/4 of the way around the track walking under her own power.  (Like how I had to tie the sleeves into a tank top, and tie a knot to make the shirt sort of fit?)

 Alexa helping Sky take a few steps.  Sky was tired by the end of Relay.  She was up until 11pm for Luminaria, went home and slept until 7:30 am, then headed back to the field to walk our assigned times.  She was a champ, never got fussy at all.  

Grace and Kiera during opening ceremonies. 

No comments: