Wednesday, April 16, 2014

CW-X Stabilyx Tights Review

I am so excited to share my review of the CW-X Tights I was given to test out!  I have been CW-X curious for a long time.  But, I've never pulled the trigger and tried them.  So, when the Fleet Feet Tacoma store manager offered me, on behalf of the CW-X rep, a free pair to try I was over the top excited! 

For the record the only commitment I made was to try them and report back to the store my thoughts.  The rep (don't even know their name) didn't even know I had a blog, there were zero requests that I post here or anywhere else about the tights.  I'm choosing to do so because I love them, and want people to know they are worth every single penny, more actually!  
  How cool are these?!  Love all the color!

I highly, highly, highly encourage you to check out the CW-X site as there is a ton of really great info regarding compression/conditioning wear in general, and CW-X specifically.  
I was given the CW-X 3/4 Length Stabilyx tights which retail at $90.00.  The technical info from the tag (booklet really): 

Featuring the latest new patented Support Web design, the Stabilyx Tight provides optimum Targeted Support to both the lower back/core area and the knee joint and surrounding muscles for greater overall stability and power.  

CW-X features two extraordinary fibers: Coolmax and Lycra.  Coolmax moves moisture instantaneously from the body to the fabric's outer surface where it evaporates at twice the speed of cotton.  Lycra possesses the unique ability to stretch yet retain its shape. 

The Support Web: 
-Acts as an exoskeleton to provide extra core support
-Stabilizes the knee joint
-Supports quadriceps muscles
-Improves movement efficiency and precision
-Engages hamstring and calf muscles
-Reduces muscle fatigue

 Yep, I wear them with my compression socks, laugh if you must.

First, keep in mind that anything over 8 miles is hard for me.  I run 3 times a week, and a 10 mile week is average.  Half training spikes that, but lets just say running is not kind to my body...I really have to work at it, and ice baths are a must for anything 8 to 10 or over, or I hurt and gimp around for a few days.
All those tracks between the color stripes is the most amazing support ever!

I did a 6, 12, 10, 8 and several 3 to 5 mile runs in these bad boys and have washed them a ton.  I also wore them after the Whidbey Island Half as a recovery tool since it's billed as in-run support, or recovery support.  I wanted to experience both so I could give a complete review!  I also refused to read anything about them before running in them so I cold be sure of forming my own opinion.  

 Ok, I did read the directions to put them on...holy compression...I realized I had no idea how to put my pants on without directions!

The first run I did was a 6 mile run and I was so pleased with how easy the normally really hard hill felt.  It's a loop I run regularly and dread one hill in specific.  But, this time it felt like the tights were doing the running for me and I floated up that hill! 
Rear view...it really does compress everything!

The real test came on the 12 and 10 mile runs and let me say that I was not disappointed.  Not a single ice bath was needed after my two longest runs, and that is amazing let me tell you.  Nothing hurt after those runs, legs, joints, knees, hips...everything felt really great.  My legs were tired after the longer runs, but not sore.  I was able to play with Sky and not gimp around like I have in the past.  It usually takes a few days to get back to normal, but these tights took it down to a few hours...specifically the hours I was running.  Once I peeled them off I showered, and was ready to be all-in mommy.  AMAZING!!!

I've always wondered if CW-X would help give support to my bad knee (dislocated it in HS and had surgery...bothers me on and off ever since) and make it feel stronger during long runs, and you know what my bad knee didn't hurt at all wearing the CW-X tights!  More importantly my knee felt protected.  

It really does feel like the tights are moving my legs for me.  They also have a higher waist line so it holds the core/tummy in nice and tight.  I really like that feature since I don't like feeling anything jiggle while running.  It's kind of like everything from my waist to knee's are being hugged and held firmly in place.

    Recovering after Whidbey Island.

I wanted to test them out as a recovery tool (I ran in a skirt for Whidbey...my usual race uniform) and changed into them after finishing the Whidbey Half.  My hips were jacked after that one due to the slanted roads.  I was so uncomfortable, but once I changed into the tights my hips stopped hurting, they liked the being hugged feeling!  I wore them for 4'ish hours, and while I think they helped I was still pretty sore after that race.  I think they work much better worn during a run rather than after.  

While I love these tights and am a totally believer/will spend every penny that comes my way on CW-X tights/shorts, there is one thing I don't love.  

The lack of a zipper pocket.  There is one small pocket on the inside of the front band, but it would maybe fit my key, and with the compression being so tight I don't want key imprint.  I get that a zipper pocket would maybe interfere with the compression ability, but it's a little frustrating to have to run with a belt (I love my belt, but hate wearing a belt period) just to accommodate my ID, Key and chap-stick.

But, even with the lack of a zipper pocket I'm a fan and convert.  I absolutely love everything about CW-X!  Can't wait to get a pair of full length tights (next winter maybe) so I have compression for my shins!   

A BIG thank you to CW-X for giving me a pair of really cool colorful tights to test out!  A BIG thank you as well to Angela at Fleet Feet for thinking of me as a test subject!  I feel spoiled and blessed all at the same time!  

P.S. - They wash and hang dry perfectly!  No funny smells or signs of wear or tear.  

--------

Anyone else out there a CW-X fan?  
 

 





 

No comments: