Sunday, April 27, 2014

From The Kitchen - Fish Tacos!

I'll admit that I'm a little scared to cook fish/seafood myself.  It seems like something that has to be cooked perfectly so I don't give my family food poisoning.  Oddly enough eating raw sushi doesn't phase me in the least.

Maybe I should just serve all seafood raw?!  

I tackled Tilapia fish tacos a few days ago, and it was really good, and better yet...no one got sick!!!

I found the recipe in Every Day with Rachael Ray...love her magazine.  I get more recipes from her magazine than anywhere else!




Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa 

Click the above link for the original recipe!

Ingredients: 
  • 1 pound halibut or other meaty white fish fillets (I used tilapia).  
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 11 ounce can  whole tomatillos, drained
  • 4 small zucchini peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes (I didn't use this at all, but added about 1/4 of purple onion instead)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems (used more like 1 cup or a bit more)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more to taste
  • 8 6 inches corn tortillas (Trader Joe's Corn Tortillas are the best!)
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder (I used 1 to keep it Sky friendly)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (Used a bit less)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Hass avocado, peeled and thinly sliced  

 Directions: 
  1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. 
  2. Place the fish in a medium bowl and drizzle with half of the lime juice. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.  
  3. Using your hands, squeeze the juice and flesh from the tomatillos, 1 at a time, into a medium bowl; discard the skins. Mash the tomatillos with a fork. Add the zucchini, the remaining lime juice, the cilantro and 2 teaspoons of the salt and toss.
  4. Spread the tortillas on 2 baking sheets and warm in the oven for about 10 minutes.
  5. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Remove the fish from the lime juice, pat dry and cover with the spice rub. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook the fish, about 4 minutes on each side. Break the fish into bite-size pieces and season to taste with salt. 
  6. Arrange the fish in the tortillas with some of the salsa and avocado slices.
I skipped steps #1 and #4.  We prefer our tortillas browned in a skillet on the stove top.  You can heat a bit of olive oil, coconut oil, or use a non-stick spray (which is what I usually do) and warm the tortillas on both sides until warm and starting to brown a bit.

Super quick and super easy dinner to cook!  Perfect with a bottle of chilled white wine/summer meal on the deck!  So can't wait to eat our meals on the deck!

---------

Anyone else have a food/meal that scares them?


No comments: