Friday, January 30, 2015

Life Goes On

The thing about being a parent is that while we were both shook up about Bishop, Sky is still a 3 year old that needs lunch and play time and normal life basically. So there isn't much time to sit around and be sad. Not going to lie, I cried my eyes out after bed time though.

After Bishop was laid to rest we thought a picnic at the park would be a nice way to enjoy the sun, give Sky some time outside to run and burn energy, and give us an easy way to be without having to be "on".

Turns out Leo, a little boy from Sky's swim class, recognized her and insisted he follow Sky around. His mommy, Angela, asked if Sky's name was Sky and did she take swimming which was odd until I realized it was Leo. Sort of a funny feeling when a stranger knows that much about your child, but once the pieces all fit it was fine.


Let's just say they liked each other. They held hands and ran so far off from us I had to chase them down. Sky - "Mommy we just want to hold hands, and run, we run from you". Awesome.

She was so sassy bolting off with Leo right after I told her no more running and to stay closer to us. All that running and hand holding worked out for me though. She slept in this morning which gave me an extra 1.5 hours of much needed sleep.

P.S. - There are so many things you just don't realize until you're a parent yourself. I have a whole new appreciation for my parents and all the pets that passed on when my sister and I were kids. As a kiddo it was hard to lose a pet, but my parents had to handle the unpleasant logistics of removing pets, being sad themselves, and watching/dealing with their daughters being heart broken, This parenting thing is hard, and I'm thankful for so much more now than I was before Sky came along. She's still asking where Bishop is and it hurts, but I take a deep breath and explain it all over again. I'm focusing on being thankful she had Bishop, rather than being sad she doesn't anymore.

No comments: