Saturday, April 7, 2012

11 Miles

Yep, that's what I ran this morning.  Took 2 hours and 3 minutes, which means I have 27 minutes to run 2.1 miles to make my 2:30 1/2 marathon goal.  Based on how I felt that last mile I may need 27 minutes. 

Just kidding I will be really ticked if I don't stick with the 10:30 pace group for most of the race, which would have me finishing in under 2:30. 

I'm not kidding about how I felt that last mile though.  There is what I call normal pain when running, tired/sore legs, for me some pain in my bad knee, sometimes a side ache.  Then there is pain that shouldn't be there, and I had some foot pain that was not ok, my knee hurt worse than it ever has (but this is the furthers I have ever run as well) and blisters on the arch of both feet.

But, my shins and legs felt great.  No pain and while the muscles were tired they didn't hurt.  What is making me crazy is the blister situation.  Mile 7 I feel the hot sports and by the end of the run I have blisters.  I have tried glide with several different brands of socks and the socks don't seem to matter, I have tried not using glide with all the different socks and still got blisters. 

Maybe I need different shoes.  My shoes still have a few hundred miles to go before they need replacing and I hate the idea of breaking in new ones at this point.  I have two pairs, but I feel like the 2nd pair leave me with more knee and hip pain.  So I guess I need to pick which pain I'm willing to run with. 

What worked great, my outfit.  The skirt, compression socks (for helping with shin/calf pain - not blisters), top, glide on every part of my body that moves all worked great.  Just have to figure out the shoe/blister situation.

I also learned that eating grilled steak and baby bok choy the night before running was a really bad idea.  All I will say is that I'm glad the school I run past has (had) a clean outhouse on the grounds. 

Next week I hit 12 miles then the tapering starts.  Really looking forward to that! 

Any blister avoidance advice anyone has to share would be much appreciated! 

No comments: