Saturday, April 21, 2012

Ruston Way 5K

Well it wasn't a PR, not even close.  I think I finished around 31 minutes, but to be honest I wasn't paying attention.  I was kind of mad at myself for even still being in the race.  

My first two miles were around 9:22 which was my goal, but they hurt bad.  My foot flared up about .5 in and it just got worse and worse.  This is the first race that I thought maybe I should just step off the course and be done. 

If not for the 1/2 I would have been fine pushing harder, but every run I do now is judged by how it will potentially impact my 1/2.  I just don't want to hurt for 13.1 miles.  But, I'm starting to feel like that is how it's going to be.  The good news is my 12 mile run last week hurt all the way, so I know I can push through, just not at a sub 10 pace. 

The feedback from massage therapy is I have tight leg muscles that are pulling the tendon in my foot tight, creating some tendonitis in the ball of my foot/big toe joint.  I will spend the next 15 days on ibuprofen, ice baths for the sore foot, and stretching (I'm practically Gumby already, but will stretch even more) and not running much.  I will probably try to get a few short easy trail runs in between now and then.  I feel like I kind of have to run a little, but will limit the impact by sticking to trails. 

Was a rough day of running in the family.  My sisters race didn't go as planned either.  For more info you can check them out here: http://lathamsontherun.blogspot.com/

Off to elevate and ice. 

No comments: