Saturday, April 28, 2012

Our General Needs Us

I came across this post on FB yesterday (I have edited it down a bit):

It started with one man. And now that man needs us.

Our beloved founder and Relay Ambassador to the world, Dr. Gordy Klatt, has announced that he has begun his own personal battle with cancer.


In his own words:


"Throughout the years I have spoken and written about how cancer can personally affect everyone. It affects the rich, the poor, and all nationalities and cultures in the world. About 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with stomach cancer and I have begun my battle with this disease using chemotherapy and then surgery this summer. I feel the tremendous camaraderie and support of my family, my friends and my colleagues. I am even more energized to defeat this disease worldwide. I will again be with all of you in spirit this Relay season - even more so this year. Celebrate the survivors; remember those who lost the battle and FIGHT BACK! We all need to CELEBRATE MORE BIRTHDAYS and by relaying we keep the HOPE alive through education, community involvement and fundraising for ongoing research. I love you all!" -- Gordy Klatt


 I know that cancer does not discriminate, but it sure seems like if someone should have a free pass it should be Dr. Klatt.  



In the Relay world Dr. Klatt is the man.  The man that started it all.  He has created a Relay nation that spans the globe.  A nation of volunteers that raise millions and millions of dollars in the fight to eradicate cancer.   


In my head I have always thought of him as the General leading the troops into battle fighting cancer day and night non-stop.  He yells charge and the troops charge in raising money, offering support services to cancer patients and their families, and walking around tracks all over the world to honor those that have cancer and remember those that lost their life to cancer.   


Now it's time rally the troops and let the General know that we still hear him, we still fight cancer, and we fight for him.  


My thoughts are with Dr. Klatt and his family as he begins the most important battle of his life. 

No comments: