Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Recipe of the Week

I found a Wok cookbook, while cleaning out cabinets, that I have had for who knows how long.  Since I have a wok I figured I should make use of it!  My goal, a wok recipe a week until I have cooked all of the recipes that I think we would enjoy.

Attempt #1 = total success!!!  

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon

Vietnamese Shaking Beef
Serves 4

5 garlic cloves chopped
1 T fish sauce
1 t brown sugar or palm sugar (I used brown sugar)
2 T peanut oil
1 lb boneless sirloin cut into 1 inch cubes
1 onion, halved and finely sliced
1 T rice vinegar
1 t sesame oil
2-6 green chilies, sliced crosswise (optional)  - (I used 4, and cooked them with the meat but didn't serve them to be eaten)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Mix 4 of the garlic cloves, the fish sauce, sugar, a pinch of salt, and half the oil in a bowl, add the beef, and toss until well coated.  Cover and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Put the onion on a bowl, cover with vinegar, and let stand for 10 minutes.  Add the sesame oil, salt, and pepper and set aside.

Heat the remaining oil in a wok, add the remaining garlic, stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the beef and chilies, if using.  Stir-fry or toss quickly over a high heat until the meat is brown and crisp on the outside and rare in the middle. 

Transfer the onion and dressing to a serving plate and serve the beef on top or beside.  (I served it on top of the onion). 

Courtesy of Elsa Petersen-Schepelarn

I served this with rice and an Asian egg plant dish...really you could serve it with a fresh salad or other fresh vegetable to keep it light and not compete with the flavor of the meat.

Warning = if your wok is as hot as it should be you may get popped by oil and burned.  I know why chefs wear long sleeves!  I have 5 burns on my arm, one of them open raw skin that is killing me.  :(



 

No comments: