Sunday, September 23, 2012

Run Support

This is not about what you think it is!  Hahaha!! 

Elya had her 1/2 today in Gig Harbor.  She was filling in for a friend who was too sick to run and had not had an opportunity to train.  So, some of her running friends got together and offered support! 

Elya is coming off a broken ankle and this would be her longest run since the broken ankle.  Shout out to her friend Michelle who started the race with her and ran all the way to the last 1/2 mile with her!  Did I mention Michelle was also unable to train?!  

I met them at the 6.5 aid station with the requested fresh orange slices peeled and separated for them, and ran the rest of the way to the last 1/2 ish mile.  Michelle and I walked in the last 1/2 mile together and skipped the finish shoot/line.  I didn't feel right crossing the finish line when A) I hadn't paid to be on the course and B) I didn't start the race from the beginning. 

I also skirted around the aid stations to stay out of the way of runners who had paid to be there and didn't take any support from the stations.  I ran with what I needed and was self-contained.

I only felt a little bad about running when not having paid...Elya wanted the support and she is my running buddy.  She helped me get through my longest training runs for my 1/2.  I wanted to help her and if her ankle did give her issues I wanted her to have peeps with her to either walk it out, or DNF and get off the course.

It ended up being 7.7 miles in 1:13:30...those girls rocked it.  They had a whole 1/2 on their legs, I only had 1/2 of a 1/2 on my legs, so it felt super easy for me, which in turn made it really easy to hand out orange slices along the way, and carry conversation to distract from the painful stretches.  It was actually the most care-free run I have done...it wasn't my race, I didn't have any pace goals or expectations.  I was just there to run and offer encouragement and I loved it!  

Having said that, I fell in love with the course, the support the volunteers offered and the local folks coming out to show their support.  There were literally people cheering and yelling the entire way!  And, more importantly it's a cause I believe in, so the Gig Harbor Run For Soldiers (supports suicide prevention for soldiers with PTSD) has now been added to my race schedule for next year.

Two 1/2's in one year...I know I'm out of control!  I already decided I won't be doing a race a month again, it's a lot to keep up with.  But, I can already see how next year is going to play out...4 to 6 races and perhaps all of them being 1/2's!  It's a distance I have fallen in love with and I have some PR'ing to do!    

Thank you to Mark and Sky who drove me to the mile 6 aid station and then went and waited at the finish line!  I appreciate the support as does Elya! 



No comments: