Monday, December 10, 2012

Missing Grandma

After losing 3 of my grandparents over the years I learned that I tend to react after the fact and at strange times. 

I'm not one for immediate and emotional reactions.

When Grandma Jean passed I was more upset by some of the family drama that took place than by her passing.  While I was sad, and shocked because it was totally unexpected, I had  peace about where she was, who she was with, and how she spent her last day on this earth.  It was just as it should be. 

There have been a few moments of realization that she is gone and gone for good.  (There have been and are moments like that in regards to all my Grandparents.)   Yesterday was one of those moments. 

When I addressed our Christmas card to my Grandpa, and had to stop myself from writing Grandma it hurt a lot, and kind of stopped me in my tracks.  She always called me after getting our card to thank me for sending one and tell me what a great picture we picked. 

I'm going to miss that call, miss hearing her voice yelling "Hi Jenni" over the phone.  She is one of the few people that still called me Jenni.  Her first questions was always about Mark, asking if he took the picture, how work was going for him etc.  The last few phone calls always, always ended with her yelling through the phone to Sky that her Great Grandma loved her and couldn't wait to see her again. 

I'm so thankful that my sister and I had pretty amazing Grandparents all the way around.  I treasure every last memory from all the fun had with them, and the fun still being had with Grandpa and watching him play with and dote on Sky. 

Now off to bake some Christmas treats...something Grandma was really good at! 

No comments: