Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Recipes Like This are Why I Have to Run!!!

This is too good not to share ASAP!  So good in fact that I made it last Wednesday and again this Tuesday.  Mostly because there were some adjustments I wanted to try, and lamb was still on sale and wanted to take advantage of the great price.   

Rogan Josh is a recipe from Well Fed and is from the Kashmir region of India...so exotic!  Check out Melissa Joulwan's (cook book author) Blog: The Clothes Make The Girl HERE for the original recipe.

My version, with my changes noted, below. 

Rogan Josh
serves 6 to 8
prep 30 minutes
cooking time 1-2 hours

Start with this....
Ingredients:
Spice Blend
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp powdered ginger
2 Tbs sweet paprika
1 tsp chili powder (original recipe calls for 2 tsp)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp salt
1/4 Tbs cayenne pepper (original recipe calls for 1/2 Tbs)

It was way too spicy (and we like spice!) the first time I made it, this time was much better but would still cut the pepper a bit more if I was making this for those that don't handle spice well.  Maybe 1/2 tsp chili powder and a pinch of cayenne if people really don't like spice. 

Curry
-2 lbs lamb (stew meat, shoulder, or leg), cut into 1 inch cubes (I used lamb chops that I cut the bone out of and cubed myself).  If you don't care for lamb you can use beef, although I haven't tried this with beef, so can't speak to taste. 
-salt and black pepper to taste
-1 Tbs coconut oil
-2 medium onions, diced (2 cups)
-1 cup coconut milk
-1 1/4 cups water

...and end with this!  (I really need not so dark dishes for food pictures!)

Directions:
-In a small bowl, combine all the Rogan Josh spices and mix with a fork.  In a large bowl, sprinkle the meat generously with salt and pepper, tossing with your hands to coat.
-In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, then add the lamb in batches and sear on all sides.  Put the meat in there and let it be for at least 5 minutes, so it gets a nice brown crust...do not stir it!

-When the meat is brown, add the chopped onions and cook until the onions begin to soften and show brown spots. 

-Add the Rogan Josh spice blend to the pan and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  The spices really come to life in the fat. 

-Pour the coconut milk and water into the pot.  Mix well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, allowing the meat to braise in the coconut milk for 1-2 hours.  (I usually make it 1.5 hours and then am so hungry we go ahead and eat)!

-When time's up, remove the lid and let the sauce thicken a bit, about 2-3 minutes.  

Since it's from a paleo cookbook there are several paleo sides to serve this with, but we are not sticking to a paleo diet (just picking what we like from it) so I do whatever I want.  The first time I made it I served it over quinoa, and this last time I roasted baby potatoes and served it over the potatoes, along with naan on the side for Sky and I.  

It reheats really well, without overcooking the meat in the least!  

Now time to get ready to go run off the double serving I had last night!!!  

Anyone else dabble in the Paleo Diet world/follow it to the letter?  

 

 

No comments: