Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thankful Thursday - A Day Early & Wild Rice and Mushroom Stuffing!

I plan on unplugging tomorrow, from blogging anyway, so am doing my Thankful Thursday post today.  It seems wrong to skip it since it is Thanksgiving!

I can't totally unplug though because this is happening tomorrow....

...Sky's very first race shirt!!!  Her running career (no matter if this is one and done, or she goes on to win Olympic Gold) starts with her very first race tomorrow.  Yep it's only a 1K, and I'm probably more excited than I should be, but I can't help it.  Sky and I have so many good running memories together, and every day she tells me that she loves running.  So, yep I'm exited and I will not be able to keep myself from posting pics at some point tomorrow.  May not be here on the blog, but will be on Instagram and/or Facebook.  Follow me there for all the fun!  (Instagram link is to the right).

Things I'm Thankful For Big and Small:

-For the person ahead of me at Starbucks yesterday who paid for my order!

-That I got to test run the new adidas Glide Boost last night on the group run.  (I'm working on a blog post all about it and the Energy Boost, keep an eye out)!

-That I survived the run last night and this morning.  My lungs didn't love it, and I felt slow and sluggish, but I got it done and feel better today!

-The amazing beautiful sun and warmth for today's stroller run!

-That someone thought Mark and I would be the perfect parents for their baby.  We are not perfect by the way, just perfect for Sky, and she is perfect for us.

-For my babe and my baby.  The two people I love the most in the world.  It's pretty amazing I get to walk through life with them beside me!

-For the family I was born into, the family I married into, and the family I have chosen to surround myself with.  I have some amazing people in my life and I'm thankful for each and every one of them.

-Fleet Feet Tacoma and all the opportunity and people it has added to my life.  Who knew a running store would end up being such in important part of my life, and Sky's life.  I'm thankful for the personal growth, my growth/improvement as a runner, the new friends I have made, and that Sky is always welcome.  Every Wednesday on the way to the Stroller run she talks about who she gets to see, and how "super, duper excited" she is to run.

-For my amazing life.  There have been twists and turns I did not expect or even think I wanted.  But, I wouldn't change a thing!  I'm exactly where I was meant to be and I'm happy being here!

And, I can't not post a Thanksgiving recipes.  No pictures though because I haven't made it yet, but this is my contribution to tomorrow's feast.    I have made it several times before and everyone always loves it!

Wild Rice & Mushroom Stuffing
Serves 8, Prep 1 HR, Bake 1 HR

2 Large Leeks, white and green parts separated and well rinsed
4 1/2 cups chicken of vegetable broth
2 cups wild and whole grain rice mix
7 Tbsp butter - (I will be using coconut oil so it's both GF and Dairy free for Mark).
salt and pepper
3/4 cups sliced almonds
1 lb mixed sliced mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster, morels, shiitake)
1/2 cup dried currants
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
3/4 tsp ground allspice

1.  In a large saucepan, combine the leek greens, chicken broth, rice mix, 2 tbsp butter and 1/2 tsp salt.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 50 minutes.  Discard the leek greens and scrape the rice mixture (including any liquid) into a large bowl.

2.  Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 8 minutes.  Add to the rice.

3.  Meanwhile, chop the leek whites.  In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat.  Add the leek whites and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to the rice.  Melt the remaining 3 tbsp butter in the skillet and add the mushrooms.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 12 minutes.  Scrape into the bowl with the rice and add the currents, parsley, lemon zest, allspice, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Mix well and transfer to the greased baking dish, patting the stuffing down.  Cover with greased foil and bake until hot, about 45 minutes.  Uncover and bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.

Who else is running a Turkey Trot? 

What is your go to stuffing recipe?  

Who's watching football tomorrow...who do you pick to win?

Detroit vs Green Bay - Detroit

Dallas vs Oakland - Dallas

Pittsburgh vs Baltimore - Do you really need to me to even say?  Pittsburgh all the way!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I hope you enjoy the food, family, running, and fun!








    

No comments: