Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Chipotle Chicken Tacos

You want to know something funny, my husband does not like the word chipotle. He likes the flavor and food that contains chipotle, but he does not like the word. I find it fascinating that he can like something, but not like having to say it or hear it being said.

Thankfully he did like this new recipe I tried last night from July's Food and Wine magazine. Monday is Mexican night, which usually always means my version of tacos, but last night I changed it up a bit so we could try something new.

Chipotle Chicken Tacos (click to visit the recipe).



A few notes:
- Don't be afraid of the cooking time, because most of that time is hands off, chicken cooking in the oven time. It was kind of nice actually. I put the chicken in, had a glass of wine, read a book while Sky colored, and enjoyed the 45 ish minutes of cooking time.

 -You can do all the chopping and prep for the rest of the meal (it's not much) while the chicken cools off enough to shred it.

-If cooking for kiddos as well then either use less chipotle (which I will do next time regardless...it's on the spicy side) or set some of the plain shredded chicken aside before mixing in with the chipotle. Which is what I did for Sky and just made her a chicken and cheese taco.

I think I'll try fresh, homemade tortilla's next time, but to keep this easy for a work night Trader Joes has the best white corn tortilla's around! Since there is 45 minutes of cooking time this may be a good option if there is a day that you're home early from work or work from home, or even a weekend if 45 minutes is going to make dinner way too late. Or, cook & shred the chicken on a weekend and save it for later in the week, because the rest of the prep/cooking takes very little time.

Overall this is a really quick, easy, yummy meal, even with the cook time for the chicken, that I'll be adding to our rotation of recipes.

Total side note...I'm so going to miss my fresh herbs. The store bought cilantro for these tacos was just not even close to being as good as what I've been growing. Impatiently waiting for the next batch to grow, and planning how to grow it year round, indoors. I can't wait to make my guacamole with "real" cilantro. That's the first thing I'm doing when this next batch of cilantro is ready!

Any favorite taco recipes out there that I should try?



No comments: