Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Slowing Down

Even though I had stuff to do every day last week, I also tried to slow down a lot. Just take a breath and enjoy summer at home. Most of our weekends are booked, with lot's of fun stuff, but I also want to enjoy summer at home, when it's gloriously wonderful in these parts. 

I'm also trying to savor the moments of "just the three of us" time since summer also brings lot's of fun with family and friends. Not complaining at all, just trying to keep a balance. A balance that also includes being open to last minute adventures with friends because we all happen to be home with no plans on a Saturday evening. 

It's been sort of nice because we have time to work on projects around the house together. Sky even gets into it....she's a good little worker when it's her idea! I'm particularly excited about the garden! 


The white containers and the standing herb garden have been planted and growing since early June. I have harvested the herbs over and over and they keep on a growing. It makes cooking so much fun! We are a little late to the game, but finally managed to get the square foot gardens built, and are trying to track down the materials needed to make the custom blend of compost, pet moss, and vermiculite that all but guaranties an amazing garden. 

I don't know if they will get planted this season (with some lovely starts I have my eye on at the local nursery) or if we will make sure they are ready to go for next springs planting, it just depends on what we find and when. Everything I've planted has done well so far, except for the lettuce. I think it may have gotten too hot or something because it's not growing at all. Nothing peeking up out of the dirt, and I was really looking forward to fresh salad right from the garden. Oh well. 

After working on the garden most of the weekend we took a break to visit Bass Pro Shop to get Mark's bow tuned and have a little food adventure along the way. 

 Playing in the boats at Bass Pro Shop keeps Sky happy for hours. She's a captain, a pirate, fishing, racing through the store, and navigating storms on the high seas...it's very entertaining. 

She loves watching him shoot!

Bebimbap

Sky has a book Be Bim Bop (the American spelling of the dish, it really is Bebimbap though) that she loves, and while I've made it at home from the recipe in the book, we thought it would be fun to visit a Korean BBQ and order the real deal. She wasn't super impressed and ate soup and dumplings instead, but Mark and I sure loved it. The rice had an extra crunch to it because it was served in a piping hot bowl that kept it hot and continued cooking it while we ate. So yummy! 


Seriously this is my idea of the perfect date night! My two favorite people, wine, steak, pretty flowers, and a comfortable summer evening outside. Yes, yes, yes! 

Loving this whole summer thing so far! 

No comments: