Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Growing Pains

Parenting is one big exercise in getting our kiddos ready to live life without us really. It's all leading up to the day they walk out the door, and walk into their own life, in their own space, making all their own choices. It's our job to teach them how to think, be kind, and make good choices for themselves, and then set them free into the world.

I've noticed her beginning to pull away a bit the last few months. More alone time, more I'll do it myself's, more I don't want to play with you, and less cuddle time, less need for reassurance (usually in the form of a thumbs up) during swim class & soccer, calling me Mama instead of Mommy. I can see her growing into her own, strong, independent self.

Her alone time = hours of coloring in her room.


Even though her coloring time gives me time to myself to do things around the house I have to be honest and say it hurt a little when she looked up at me and said "Mommy can you just leave me alone".

I know she's only 4, but the tides are changing. I guess the timing is right...she'll be in school full time next year and I won't be around all day every day for her. I already miss the days of having her all to myself, and those days aren't even over yet.

It feels like I'm living life with a countdown clock. D Day is a little over a year from now when she starts kindergarten. I can't even imagine how much she'll change between now and then.

My focus...enjoy the moment, soak up every second I get to spend with her, say yes to every cuddle that does come my way. Once it changes, it's changed forever.

No comments: