Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I've Reconnected With an Old Flame

Mark is finding out about this the same time all of you are...sorry bout that babe! ;-)

Actually it's more like 5 old flames named Steven, Joe, Joey, Tom, and Brad otherwise known as Aerosmith.

It's been a sad almost 4 years with Sky riding around in my car. You see she loves music, all kinds of music really. We listen to everything from Swingers and Singers, Blues, Dance, Country, Top 40/Pop, and good old Rock n Roll. But, her love of music has not extended to Aersmith, my first and only TRUE music love.

This is the baby that during the first 6 months would only stop crying in the car if we played Eminem, which we gladly did. Anything to make the crying stop right?! But, every time I'd put Aerosmith on she'd cry and cry, and when she started talking would say "no music mommy, I don't like", and I would sadly turn it off.

I've been diligent though and every few weeks sneak a CD in and give it a try. I am determined that she is going to accept Aerosmith into her life!

 Just a few from my collection...there are a lot more!

My plan has worked, we now have Aerosmith in regular rotation in the car, along with some of her faves like Bruno Mars and JT. 

It's about time! This may make me sound old, but I'm so over most of the music being played today. It's hard to flip through the stations and not hear about bringing booty back, falling in love with a stripper (oh yes I have major issues with Ushers new single), chains, rides, clubs, and many, many, many less than ideal ways to refer to women. 

Let me be clear, some of the music/artists I actually like, but I'm an adult with a firm grasp on my self worth, self esteem, and am comfortable with the perfectly imperfect body I'm working with. Sky, isn't though, and I feel like I'm fighting a battle on multiple fronts when it comes to limiting the types of body messages she's hearing. 

Raising Sky aside...Frankly, a lot of the music sounds the same, and listening to the radio isn't all that exciting any more. A lot of it, just isn't that great. If it were not for the magic created in a studio there are a lot of artists that wouldn't even exist. But, thanks to this over perfected and produced society we live in it doesn't take much talent these days. 

Anyway back to my Old Love of Aerosmith. It feels good to have them back in rotation in my life. And, yes I'm aware that a lot of their songs contain less than ideal messages for an almost 4 year old, but we all have our lines I guess. I'd rather she hear some of the swear words and sex/rock n roll related songs from Aerosmith than hear from Usher to go make it rain while shaking your big booty on the pole. Or hear about how some guy is going to make her is wifey and buy her Louboutin's, a mansion with 5 pools (she may like the pools actually) and a Rolls. 

It's hard to pick favorites because each album and song has emotions and memories tied to it for me, but this may be my favorite Aerosmith album. They do the Blues very well!

This is the album we listen to the most. I was scared when it came out that it wouldn't be Aerosmith worthy, but it's good. Really, really good. It's them with a fresh new twist, but still classic Aerosmith all the way. Love it! 


Music choice is personal, as are parenting decisions...this is my thing that I'm choosing to take a stand on...I couldn't care less if others don't think it's a big deal. No judgment here...just sharing what's on my mind today. 

P.S. It may sound like I have an issue with booty, since I've mentioned it several times. I get that some feel like they have validation now that Meghan Trainer is All About That Bass. The flip side of that is there are girls/women that don't have booty to sing about or show off, and what does that song do to their self image? Not to mention she refers to skinny girls without booty as bitches. She says it's a joke in the next line but how old will Sky be before she can understand that sort of humor? 

It's a darn catchy song and I tend to not realize it's even on until it's almost over, but until I know Sky is comfortable with her body, looks, hair, intelligence etc that song, and many others are not on our hit list. 

P.P.S. I'm also well aware that this is something Mark and I play a huge part in every day in the things we say, how we interact with each other and her, and how I present myself as a woman to the world. Like I said it's a battle being fought on many fronts.

No comments: