Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Success at the Dentist

I am so proud of Sky and her visit to the dentist yesterday! (Great way to spend St. P Day right?!). The last two yeas have been rough, in fact it went so poorly last year that I called Mark on the way home and said never again. I will never take her by myself again. 

Our plan this year was to book all 3 of appointments back to back. She would be able to watch one of us go first, have her appointment with both of us there to help, and then go have fun while the last appointment took place.

I don't know if it was because Mark was there, she got to watch him go first, she's a year older, the hygienist was awesome with her, they covered teeth health in school or what. But she did amazing! She was literally trying to kick Mark out of the chair to have her turn! 

Ready to go and waiting for the hygienist.


Holding Daddy's hand helped, and they let her pick her treasure before the appointment so she had a tiny little toy camera to hold onto as well. She had a choice of raspberry or orange polish and went with orange, and she loved having the sucker think in her mouth sucking out all the water. 

The last few months she has grown up so much from mastering the "big kid" toys at the park, graduating to a real bike (with training wheels), swimming like it ain't no thing, to being brave at the dentist. 

At home I can get frustrated with her do it herself'ness, her conviction that she's right and knows exactly what should be happening at any given time, her ability to turn time out into the greatest game ever. But, you know what...all those things are serving her well in the "real" world. She still needs direction, encouragement, and a hand to hold sometimes, but this strong, sassy, self assured little girl is taking on her world and shinning. 

Rather than be sad that she doesn't even look my direction at the pool any more for thumbs up, and doesn't shout at me to watch her I'm just really happy that she's brave enough to be her own person in her own little part of the world. Parenting is all about getting them ready to function in the world in a way we can be proud of, and seeing her make her way into her part of the world (as it is right now with school/swimming/making new friends etc), and become her own little person is just amazing. I know it's not "job well done" yet...there is a long, and sometimes bumpy, road ahead still...but I'm enjoying it right now! 

---------------------------------------------

After the dentist I joined asics for the Fleet Feet Tacoma Tuesday night group run! I found a leprechaun and beer at the end of the run! 

Beer at the end of a run is way better than a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! :) 

 Me & Yannick!

I didn't run in my socks...I test ran some asics and had not put my shoes back on yet.
 

 

No comments: