Friday, April 17, 2015

Let's Go For A Drive

This post is a day late. I had a big old thank you for Thankful Thursday, but things happened, we ran late and by the time we got home from something pretty big, it was 8:30 and we still hadn't eaten dinner.

Well Sky ate, but it consisted of a half eaten kids meal hamburger, french fries, chocolate milk, and hot chocolate. It's an understatement to say she lost it by the end of the evening.

What kept us busy so late, and justified a horrid food option for the tot? Buying a new car!

2015 Subaru Forester...look how excited Sky is!

We said we would drive the Lexus until it wouldn't go...mission accomplished! It's been smoking and burning oil like crazy for weeks, and we have been test driving and negotiating for weeks. Wednesday I put the 3rd quart of oil in 4 days in the Lex, and that's when we decided it had to go. On my way to meet Mark at the dealership it was blowing smoke so bad I was getting honked at, flipped off, and yelled at, and it started sputtering. I'd step on the gas and it would lurch and not go. I was on the verge of tears as people were honking and my car wasn't going. All I wanted was to get to the dealership and be done with it. Thankfully I managed to get it there and rolled in smoking away, turned off the engine and gladly handed the keys over. 

They didn't have what we wanted on the lot so we had to wait until 5pm the next day (last night) to get the car. I'm not going to lie, I cried last night when I looked out and saw that car in our driveway. 

The very first new car I purchased for myself, senior year in HS, was a Subaru Justy. That car was a champ, and lasted much longer than it should have. Ummm...10 years on original spark plugs! I loved that car and loved Subaru, and really wanted my next car to be a Subaru. But, life happens and I had to buy something I didn't love, but could afford when the Justy gave up finally. To be back in a Subaru and have the opportunity to pick options, and make it what I want feels like coming home to my first car love, and it feels a little spoiled and a lot grown up. 

 Jumping for joy!

Now, all I want to do is drive! So thankful we were able to make this work, and that Jamberry is helping pay for this. Who knew selling pretty nails would help pay for a new car?! It feels really good to have a business that allows me to help contribute towards the car.

I have to say a huge thank you to Mark for keeping us on track while making the single income/stay home thing work. It's been challenging at times, but we have been careful and saving as much as we could because we knew 5 years is a long time to go without a big expense of some sort. Be it car, house, heath related. And, a big thank you to the parents for giving us the Lexus which got us another year without care payments so we could save, and to my dad for helping keep the Lexus running when we first got it.

It really does take a village!

P.S. We finally did eat dinner after Sky was in bed. We celebrated the new car with Sushi and Champagne!

No comments: