Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Dad and Daughter Birthday Weekend

Last weekend was the weekend between my Dad's birthday and my birthday, so we made plans to drive to E WA and combine the birthday fun!

This is how I road trip!

This is how Sky road trips...with a smile on her face, a few books/toys at her side, and her favorite blanket that has seen better days.

Traveling with Sky has, thankfully, forced us to find fun stopping points along the way. It works well that my Mom lives at the half way point and makes a nice lunch/dinner (depending on the time of day) and play stop. 


And, when you have worked so hard at your swimming skills, and move on up to the next class, it calls for "I'm proud of you" gifts from Grandma!

Looking at this picture I'm realizing she may be too tall for her car seat. I need to check the specks and see if it's time to move up to the next one. Growing so fast.

She was super sad about saying goodbye to Grandma and held onto the duck Grandma gave her the rest of the drive. She also scored new Roper boots (we love the feed store in Ellensburg...great kiddo boot selection and they always have sales!) that she is wearing non stop. Boots (real leather ones) for kids = brilliant because they outgrow them before they wear them out!

The rest of the weekend was full of good company, good wine, good food, and lot's and lot's of fun! I felt so spoiled not having to cook or do dishes the entire time. :)

Sky making pizza for all of us...she made my favorite Margarita, it's also the type of pizza I eat for dinner the night before races.


She was so pleased with herself!

One of the things I enjoy most about being a parent is watching her with other people. Usually I'm the one helping her help me cook, or do laundry, or whatever. To sit back and actually pay attention to the looks of frustration and satisfaction, and see how much she enjoys doing big girl things is eye opening really.

 Gluten Free crust for the win...this was one good pizza!

After that it was all about the wine tasting! We had so much fun winery hopping. It was a beautiful day, windy but sunny, which gave Sky an opportunity to run around outside and burn energy as needed. She really is pretty great about coloring and visiting with any and everyone else in the winery, she's fun to go tasting with actually.   



Birthday shoes! Apparently I needed them because I've worn them every day since getting them! 


It was so nice to sit out in the sun, getting our vitamin D, drinking reserve wines, and noshing on simple yet yummy snacks. My new favorite way to "shop" for wine to go with dinner...go wine tasting and pick it out that way! 

All too soon it was time to come home, but not before stopping in at my aunt and uncles to say a quick hello, and check out the progress in the vineyard. 


It's hard to believe that in a few weeks we will be there planting vines, and this will be a full fledged vineyard! It's going to be hard work, but I'm excited to be able to help!


Sky was not thrilled with all the goodbyes. She cried and cried after leaving Grandma, cried and cried after leaving Grandpa, and was down right pissed off after leaving my aunt and uncle. It took all of her favorite things, plus my special blanket (yes I have a special blanket that I travel with...can't sleep without it) to calm her down enough to fall asleep, and give us a break from the tears. She just loves her family so much it breaks her little heart when we have to leave. :(

All in all a great weekend celebrating birthdays! Happy Birthday to dad and me! 





No comments: