Saturday, October 23, 2010

Recipe of the Week

Mark did the grocery shopping at Costco last time, and I love it when he goes without me. He always comes home with the most interesting stuff...stuff I would not think to buy, but usually end up loving.

Among the many new and different things this time he came home with a Costco sized bag of Quinoa. I have NEVER cooked with Quinoa, nor can I even pronounce it. But, Mark knows I love to cook, and love to try new things, so this was a fun challenge.

My first recipe was a hit!

Quinoa with Asian Flavors

Ingredients
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic
2 green onions, chopped

Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in quinoa and allow to toast for 2 to 3 minutes, then add chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until all liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Fluff quinoa with fork and top with green onions before serving.

No comments: