Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Why do I Work Out?

I get asked this questions a lot it seems. Why do I work out, and what do I want to get out of it.
For a lot of people it is about being a certain weight or size, or wanting a flat tummy, or thighs that don’t rub together, etc…

For me it is a bit different. Don’t get me wrong I love feeling like I look good and that my tummy at least looks flat in my clothing, and I like being able to purchase smaller sizes, but that is not at all what drives me. (I honestly don't even know how much I weigh and clothing size depends on what store/brand I'm shopping so I don't put a lot of stock in it.)

What drives me is knowing that I am healthy and strong enough to enjoy my recreation such as mountain biking, playing sports, hiking, or whatever else I decide to take on.

I feel my best ie. Healthiest, sexiest, strongest, most confident when I’m working out, pushing my body and it is responding and able to handle what I’m throwing at it. I love knowing that if I decide to try something my body can handle it!

I want to be as healthy and active as possible for as long as possible… I want to still be enjoying life when I’m 90!

These are the things that drive me and keep me motivated in my workouts!

2 comments:

popeye said...

As you already know I have been working out my entire life. As far back as thirty years ago people would ask me why I don’t compete in either bodybuilding or power lifting. I didn’t start competing until 2002. My answer was always the same. I would tell them it is about being healthy when I get old. However, along the way I discovered another huge benefit from a lifestyle of fitness. Throughout the years I have had many set backs of a diverse nature. By this I mean it doesn’t matter if the trauma results from injury, illness, or if it was psychosomatic trauma resulting from some heinous form of spiritual or emotional trauma. My health care providers always marveled at the way I dealt with it and even more impressed as to how I recovered from it. I have been told so many times that my speed of recovery is unheard of, and always the health care provider stated it was due to me taking care of myself health wise. Don’t get me wrong-I have some major health issues, and I have had some heinous diagnosis. When OHSU diagnosis me with neuropathy of the parasympathetic nervous system I was given less than five years to live. That was back in 2002. I have it tested for this condition every year and since 2004 it doesn’t exist. I just passed my last test for it last week. The DR. who tested me for it marveled at my health for such an old guy. Especially considering 2002 was a bad year for me. With neuropathy of the parasympathetic nervous system any, or all of the internal organs shut down. This led to diagnosis of two heart attacks, kidney failure, and a host of other problems. There were other stressors that took its toll. I did what I only knew how to do. I poured myself into pursuits of fitness. I became more strict about my intake of foods and fluids. I pushed myself through daily workouts that always ended up in total failure, or exhaustion. In this case failure equated success. Within the past three weeks I have had extensive check ups from my endocrinologist, urologist, and my physician. All three marveled at my lab results, my health, and at age 58 I do not hurt anywhere. All three say the same thing--I am so fortunate that I have spent a life time pursuing fitness/health. One might tend to think this would be selfish on any individuals part. It isn’t selfish at all. Why, because for those in my inner most circle it feels so good knowing that I have the health, and the resources to be there for them no matter what they may need. That is the biggest joy in life. Having the health to be of a benefit to those around you. Being there for those I love so much gives me such joy in life. I know Jen and Mark would do most anything for the people found in their inner circle. Keep it up Jen. I am so proud of you and Mark

popeye said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.