Sunday, January 27, 2013

From the Kitchen and Stuff

From the kitchen:

Mark's new favorite recipe!  Thank You Food Network Magazine!

Spanish Turkey Meatball Stew

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 cup sliced small carrots
  • 2 14-ounce cans low-sodium diced fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
  • 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley (about 1 bunch), chopped, plus more for topping
  • Freshly ground pepper

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer half of the mixture to a large bowl.
Add the paprika and carrots to the remaining onion mixture in the skillet and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and chickpeas; bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the ground turkey, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the bowl with the reserved onion mixture and mix with your hands. Form the turkey mixture into 20 meatballs. Place the meatballs in the skillet with the sauce and simmer, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Serve with more pepper and parsley.

Per serving: Calories 458; Fat 18 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 81 mg; Sodium 1,234 mg; Carbohydrate 36 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 38 g

Stuff:
We have been having fun and been busy living life rather than posting about it.  :)

Thursday night Alex joined us for dinner and Sky was all about hanging out with Alex. 

It's dark...was using my phone, had I got up to grab the camera she would have moved.
 
Friday night Jon and Winona joined us for dinner, and test drove Shrimp Jambalaya in an effort to nail down a Creole style meal for SB Sunday.  The flavor was GREAT, but the mushy rice was a no go for me.  I found a different recipe though and already know it's going to be amazing! 
 
 
Sky has made a lot of changes in a short amount of time and it's killing me.  She is growing up so very fast.  I love it, but it makes me a little sad at the same time. 
 
 
 
The beginning of potty training.  She just sat there with her magazine and her Daddy.  Nothing happened but still it's a start. 
 
 
 
 

I can hardly believe that is her in the canvas.
 
 
 Her newest trick...climbing up the back of the couch and popping her head over the top with a big old smile in her face. 

In running news...I need a race!   I need some motivation to get my a$$ out there!  I ran Friday with Michelle's brother, and thank goodness I had plans to run with him.  Otherwise I would have bailed on myself. 

It was hard.  Taking time off for Sky's cold and my cold made it hard.  I had to take a short walking break to get up the last of the hill on the way home, I just couldn't breath.  It felt good once I was done though.  I'm ready to get back on my regular running schedule this week. 

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

No comments: