Monday, January 11, 2010

Baby Registry Fun

Michelle let me know that the shower invitations were being sent out today, so that means it was time for me to finish my registry. (I can't wait to see what the invitations look like! I gave Michelle complete control over the shower and only know the date, time, and location). I was holding off on the clothing because the turn over at Babies R Us is pretty fast so things I registered for 3 or 4 months ago would be gone by now.

I went in yesterday to finish the registry and had so much fun "shopping" for cute baby cloths, but I also felt a little bad. You see I can't stand trying to buy clothing off of peoples registries! It is nearly impossible to know if you are really getting the item that is listed on the registry unless you read all the bar codes. The registry description may say 0-3 month train, but how do I know for sure that I'm getting the right train outfit of the 4 that are hanging there (that is if you can find a train outfit at all!)? Only if I compare bar codes do I know. To avoid the hassle I usually make it a policy to just not buy clothing. In fact while I was completing my registry Sunday I picked up a shower gift for a girlfriends shower this coming Saturday and it was not clothing!

Despite knowing my friends and family are going to pull their hair out trying to find the exact pink dress, or cute leopard print leggings I had fun scanning all the cute little dresses, onesies, pajamas, shoes, hats, and booties! (There are a few outfits that I really hope I get and if I don't I am going to go get them myself!)

It was a little challenging though, because we have no idea when we will get a baby, so while all the spring/summer things are out we may get her in the dead middle of next winter. I tried to make sure everything I registered for can either be worn with a shirt under it, or a zip-up or sweater over it. There are a lot of sweaters, zip-ups, and solid colored short and long sleeve onesies on the registry so that I can layer if needed. Shoes tripped me up as well. Are crib shoes really needed? Is sticking with booties better? In my mind they don't really need shoes until they are walking, but then I see all these cute shoes in such small sizes and how do I pass them up? (I have been trying really hard to be practical and only register for things that I think we will really use and need. I can say that my girlfriends register is over twice as long as mine so I think I have done a good job sticking to the needed items and not the fun frivolous ones). I did end up picking a couple of really cute little shoes to go with a couple of the outfits I registered for.

The strangest thing of all is being the only non-pregnant person there registering. All these couples and cute pregnant ladies are scanning away and there I am not pregnant with no "when are you due and what hospital are you using" conversation to share. I felt like I was in one of those "what doesn't fit in this picture" settings.

It was still fun though and I love shopping without spending a dime!

No comments: