Friday, January 22, 2010

Winning Touchdown Moment

I had one of those moments last night at dodgeball. You know the moment when the game winning touchdown is scored in the last seconds of the super bowl and the team goes wild. Yes it was that good!

A little set up: Last week we decided the girls would shag balls, meaning we would retrieve them and have them ready for the guys who were throwing. As a result I ended up being the last person in for my team 4 games in a row. The fact is I can't throw hard enough accurately enough to get the guys on the other teams out, so I was thrown out all 4 times. I realized that if I were good at catching I could have gotten them out that way, so decided I need some practice, which brings us to last night.

Prior to our game starting I asked Jeff, one of my teammates, to help me practice catching. We have learned that catching to get the other team out is key in the league. So Jeff hurled ball after ball at me as hard as he could and I caught them, one after another. I finally stopped because I didn't want to wear out his arm prior to game time, I cut my hand during warm up and it was bleeding like mad, and I was feeling good about being able to catch.

During the first game I caught a few balls and got people out, and over all we played pretty well won a few matches, but ended up losing the game by one match. The next team we played is the number one team in the league, they have only lost one game and had beat us badly our first week.

It was a ruff game, the guys can throw, harder than any other team and the girls on their team were dangerous! They could throw and catch like crazy. But, amazingly we were up 2 matches to 1 and the game was going great until I find myself the last person left for my team and their two best throwers left for their team. I was not happy! Not sure how I did it but I hit one of the guys and got him out, which left it one on one. When it's one on one we are allowed to cross the center line and go after the last player, as I was the only one with a ball I went after him, threw and missed. So I started back peddling as fast as I could to get ready to dodge the ball he is going to throw at me. He throws...hard (still have a red mark where it hit me) and I catch it! Yes that is right I caught a ball thrown by the 2nd best thrower on their team and won that match for us! It was awesome! My team went crazy and ref told me it was the most amazing catch he has ever seen, and the look on the other guys face was priceless. He could not believe I caught the ball!

It was my shinning moment of the night. The best part was for the rest of the night he would go to throw at me and would stop and target someone else. He was not going to let me catch another one of his balls. Ultimately we ended up losing the game to them. They are fierce, but I still had my moment and felt on top of the world, or at least the dodgeball world, for a few minutes!

No comments: