Saturday, October 15, 2011

Window Shopping

Window shopping is a basic difference between Mark and I. 

My idea of window shopping: I have some $$ may not be sure what I want, but will go check out a few of my favorite stores and see if there is anything I can't pass up. 

Mark's idea of window shopping: Don't have the $$ but lets test drive cars anyway, so we know what we want 3 to 4 years from now.  (It doesn't just apply to cars...most big items that you have to think twice about he likes to window shop for years if he has to.)

I can appreciate the fact that he likes to have a goal as to what our money is being saved for.  (For me it's enough to know we are saving for a car, for Mark he wants to know exactly which car.)  We need to replace my car for many, many reasons, but we also know that since I'm not working it is going to take a while.  But, Mark really wants to visualize what the savings is going towards.  

The difference is this strategy motivates him and gives him time to be 100% confident in the purchase.  While for me it is just frustrating.  Why tease myself with something I really want, in some cases really need, to only be reminded daily for years that we/I can't have it?!

It makes me crazy.  I would rather wait until we have the money saved and then start looking/test driving then when we find the perfect car we get it.  

On the flip side Mark's strategy has always turned out to be in our/my best interest.  He will make sure I get the car I/we want when we are ready, so that is the up side I guess. 

In the meantime I will be dreaming about the Subaru Forester2.5X Limited, with All-Weather Package, in Pearl White with Platinum Leather interior that we test drove the other night.  It had a sun roof too, I have always wanted a sun roof, I had fun opening and closing it while Mark was taking his turn driving it.   

You know how nice it was to test drive a car that Sky's car seat actually fits in?  It was 20 minutes of bliss! 

The good thing is by the time we can afford it we will be able to get it used and save money on it. 

No comments: