Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Another Craigslist Score!

First just let me express my love for Craigslist!!!  Thank goodness Craigslist exists because it's really inconvenient that I'm feeling the need to majorly change things up in the house on a single income. 

I guess after 9 years of looking at the sameness of the layout and major pieces of furniture I'm ready for something different.  Plus, losing the spare room to Sky (totally worth it!!!) eliminated a whole room of storage and we are approaching max capacity.  I can only consolidate/organize/find new hiding spots for so long!

It's been a two part process.  I started out by taking almost all the art/pictures off the walls, shelves, mantel etc. and moved it around/into different rooms to create a more colorful, less bulky, more space efficient look.  Anything that I can't find the perfect spot for goes to goodwill, unless it has special meaning, then I work harder to find it's new home.  BTW - I'm shocked at how much stuff I take to goodwill every week.  I didn't realize how much stuff we have that we don't need/use!

One of the things I really wanted in the dinning room was a square table.  Since we were fitting a rectangle table into a smallish square room I felt like square would be better.  Since Mark pretty much owns craigslist (he has gotten so many good deals, including Sky's free wooden swing set and slide!) as soon as I got serious about changing up the house he started looking for a square table and found the perfect one for a great price!!! 


It looks perfect in the dinning room and fits so much better than the old table.  It gives us options too if we want to push it up against a wall we can fit a buffet in there, or move Sky's school desk and white board in there for a more official pre-school space.  Bonus, it matches the wine rack perfectly.  Not too matchy matchy, but they look good together!

While we were taking the old table apart and putting the legs on the new one sky decided to start her own project. 

 
She was working away on the gate with her screwdriver and yelling at us, "I working, I fix it".  Any time we are working or fixing something around the house she gets her tools out and fixes things. 

The second part of the project is to tackle the big pieces of furniture.  What to keep, what to ditch, what to move, and what to replace.  Things like replacing the couch and living room flooring will have to wait a while, like until I go back to work.  But, in the meantime we can update the curtains, throw pillows finish hanging all of our prints and keeping an eye on Craigslist.

Any cost effective decoration/organization/consolidation tips for me? 

P.S. First post-race run today.  My legs are still sore and my knees hurt, but I'm going to give it a go with the Stroller Group.  Will see how it goes! 

No comments: