Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Planks Are Hard

Can I just say a 3 minute plank feels like torture...I have no idea how I'm going to do a 5 minute plank next week!  Yikes!!! 

I'll be honest...I start out in perfect plank form, but after 1:30 all bets are off.  I straighten my arms/go to my knees as needed.  I go back to proper form as I'm able, but I can't hold a proper plank for 3 minutes.  My core feels stronger though, and that was the whole point.

I'm going to feel that 3 minute plank during tonight's adidas sponsored run!        

Dinner last night was so good!!!!  I usually share recipes on Friday's, but this one can't wait.  Sky cleaned her plate twice, and Mark said it was even better as leftovers today! 

I got the recipe from my Bon Appetite magazine: Original link HERE

What mine looked like above, what it looks like in the magazine below.
 
 

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken legs and thighs
  • Kosher salt
  • 8 garlic cloves, peeled
  • cup (packed) light brown sugar
  • ¼ cup (or more) unseasoned rice vinegar
  • 2 slices ¼"-thick slices peeled ginger
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • Cooked white rice (for serving)    

PREPERATION

Heat oil in a large wide heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and, working in 2 batches, cook until golden brown and crisp, 6–8 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Add garlic to pot and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to plate with chicken. Pour off fat from pot.
 
Return pot to medium-high heat and add ½ cup water, scraping up browned bits. Add brown sugar; stir to dissolve, then cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and turns a deep amber color, about 4 minutes. Carefully add vinegar (it may bubble up; sugar will crystallize); stir to dissolve sugar.
 
Add ginger, broth, and soy sauce, then add chicken, skin side up, and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, 20–25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
 
Bring cooking liquid to a boil and cook until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 10 minutes. Return chicken to pot; turn to coat. Top with scallions and serve with rice.
 
 
Recipe by Chris Morocco
Photograph by Hirsheimer & Hamilton
 
What food magazines do you subscribe to?
Bon Appetite
Rachael Ray
Food & Wine
Cooks Illustrated
 

 


No comments: