Monday, November 23, 2009

No Holiday Stress for me!

Holiday Crankiness seems to have started early this year! Why is it people get so stressed out around the Holidays? The whole point of the Holidays to me is to enjoy spending time with people you love and care about…why is that so stressful? Maybe it is because I don’t have kids yet and I’m not the one cooking the meal, but I really wish everyone that is acting mean and cranky would just stop, take a deep breath, and appreciate the fact they are alive and get to spend another Holiday with those they love. (Disclaimer here - I know some people truly have heartbreaking situations that make life, let alone the Holiday's miserable, and my heart goes out to those individuals and families, but that is not an excuse for every single cranky person that has crossed my path the last two weeks!)

I am really concentrating on being in my happy place so that when the grocery store checkout line is long and the person behind me is non-stop complaining I can keep a smile on my face, or when yet another co-workers starts yelling about all the things that have to be taken care I can keep my smile on and not dump coffee on their head. (Oddly enough playing that little scene out in my head keeps the smile on my face!)

I don’t get all worked up about the Holidays. Yes I enjoy them and I get caught up in the decoration and spirit of it, but I am aware of what they truly mean to me (it’s not Santa or the gifts!), it’s about spending time with my family and friends; being thankful for all of the good people, experiences, and things in my life; reflecting on what I can improve on personally; looking at the year ahead and planing to live the best life I can; and maybe most important it’s time for Mark and I to take a break and just be.

I can’t help but think that if people were not so caught up in cooking the perfect meal, or buying the perfect gift, making sure the house is spotless, or worried about how much money the decorations/food/gift cost they would not be so cranky and could actually take time to enjoy the Season.

Today – It’s Monday, but it’s really Wednesday because Wednesday is Friday this week! Confused yet? ;)

Adoption – I wonder what new tradition we will start once we have a little one in the house. It’s important for me that Mark and I not lose sight of the fact that the three of us will be our own little family and we need our own Holiday time. I know others will want to join in the fun of the Holiday’s with a new baby and I’m looking forward to that as well, but I really want us to take the time to be a family of three.

No comments: