Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Steelers Win!

It was a good night in my house last night. Any time the Steelers win, and win big it’s a good night! Plus I won in both my fantasy football leagues for the first time this season!

I’m starting to get excited about Relay For Life again. This year is the first year in a long time that I am going to be a Team Captain. I was a captain for 10 years and spent the last 4 years on the Leadership Team for the Tacoma Event. Well this year brings a lot of Relay changes for me. I am not taking a leadership role this year (need time to be a mom!), I am starting a Friends and Family team (can’t wait to spend Relay time with those I love), and I’m not participating in the Tacoma event (need a change of pace). I love Tacoma, I feel like I grew up at that event, but it’s time for a change. Mark and I live in Lakewood so it was an easy choice for us to decide to participate in the Lakewood event.

Ever since we bought our home in Lakewood it has made me crazy that while I’m out shopping or running errands people in Lakewood would stop me to talk about my Relay shirt and they would want to talk about the Lakewood event and would have questions about it. I was constantly explaining that I participate in the Tacoma event and a lot of times the light would go out of their eyes when they realized I didn’t participate in the Lakewood event. So I am really looking forward to participating in my “home town” event! I do a lot of business in Lakewood and can’t wait to engage those I regularly interact with in Relay.

I am so excited to share Relay with close friends and family and have Mark as my co-chair! I am also excited to be part of an event that is 18 hours vs 24. The thought of going home at noon on Saturday rather than 6pm is divine! Since we are hopeful we will have Sky by June it will also be nice to be at a smaller event with a new baby. One of the things I’m really looking forward to is being able to have a camp fire!!!

The Lakewood Kick-Off is the 17th and I am so ready to get going and have the top rooky team at the event!

Today – Mark and I are having dinner with the parents tonight to celebrate his birthday. I love spending time with them!

Adoption – I think it may be possible to read too much! I have ready several parenting books all of which contradict each other. I have also read a lot of adoption related books some talking about the horror of adoption and “tearing” a baby away from its birth mother (I only made it to page 2 before feeling like the worst person in the world for being part of the adoption horror. I then decided the book was crap and got rid of it), and other books talking about how wonderful adoption is. I have come to the conclusion that I am only going to read it if it makes me feel like I am being true to myself and the parenting style I believe in. The bottom line is there is a lot of advice and I will have to wait and see what Sky’s temperament is before figuring out what will and won’t work for her and us.

2 comments:

shelley said...

Aren't the baby books nuts? If you read enough of them, you can come up with every possible opinion there is!

These were the ones I found most helpful --
The Happiest Baby on the Block
The No Cry Sleep Solution

And it's so strange -- you'll find that your maternal instinct kicks in and you simply have to trust it. It's that 'gut feeling'. Sounds like you are already listening to it - since you tossed that crappy adoption book!

I'm proof that you can "rip away" a child from the birth parents and have the most fantastic upbringing with loving adoptive parents.

Did I ever tell you that I was placed with a family, just after birth, who ended up giving me back before my parents got me at 6 days old?

You never know when that time will come! :)

OK. Officially the longest comment I have ever left. Ever.

Unknown said...

The books are crazy! I read the Happiest Baby on the Block and really liked it! I'm for sure listening to that one. I will get the No Cry Sleep Solution and read it.

I didn't know you were placed before your parents got you. I would love to chat with you sometime about the whole adoption thing and how you handled it growing up. That is one thing I have not had the opportunity to do in this process and that is talk to someone who has been adopted.